The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sorghum in the power plant mix that i planted in may has formed seed heads at the top. From what I understand, these heads become deer candy when they reach a "dough" stage just before they harden. I think the deer feeding in my plot every night have jumped the gun and feasted on the seed head a bit early as a few have been nipped off. My question is: do they eat anymore of the sorghum plant? And further, if the seed head is eaten off, is it worth it to keep that plant in or should i pull it out by the roots to make more room for the plants still growing or possibly throw down something else to grow for fall?

·
Registered
68 Posts
We have planted grain sorghum for the past two years on our farm but our deer didn't really touch the seed heads until later on after it hardened (Late oct. and november). As far as the deer around me, they did not touch anything but the seed heads. Depending on if the plot was a destination/feeding plot or a hunting plot, I would leave the stalks for cover in a hunting plot or remove the stalks for a feeding plot (we've actually sold the stalks for halloween decorations!!).

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I say decorations, I mean ground blind.

Turns out its not the deer eating the sorghum seeds early. Its the [censored] doves. Had a ton of them out there this morning. Kapow is what I have to say.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts