The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Son's first buck!!!

7K views 35 replies 32 participants last post by  Greene County Tom 
#1 ·
Last night my son scored his first buck with a Horton TRT Ultra Light.

This was the only deer we saw last night. It came in after a quick, soft grunt/rattle sequence. This things came in on a string.

8 point
15 yds broadside
Rage 2 blade Xbow head

Ive killed a lot of deer in my time. Ive done a lot of exciting things. Not too many of those things rank as high as this moment in the woods last night.

Thank you PGC for the Mentor program AND Xbows!!!

See less See more
#15 ·
jayjaysin said:
Congratulations to you both! Can you tell me how you set him up? I need to get my boys set up for shooting my crossbow. Did you use a blind with him in a chair and using a rest for the x-bow?
We were setup in a 17' 2 man ladder stand wrapped in camo burlap.

I have the stand set in a known travel corridor which usually has a ton of acorns. Although the acorns are lacking this year, they still use it as a travel corridor.

It worked last night. Ive been wanting to hunt this spot myself the last few years, but havent. This year I figured it would be perfect for him...easy to walk too...quick in and out from the parking spot. Everything just came together...

#16 ·
Springer Rage said:
Great job. That is a stocky-looking deer.
It was a nice size deer. It is not gutted in this pic. It was UNREAL how fast that thing gas'd up and bloated.

I left it go for about an hour, waiting on a couple buddies and a camera crew to film the recovery. By the time we got to it, it was really gas'd up. Ive never seen a buck swell that quickly...

#22 ·
WAHOO!!!this crossbow stuff is fun now ain't it..talk about a perfect stab!!!

<span style='font-size: 26pt'>GREAT POST ACE!!!</span>

I know what you are feeling in that pic brother...Enjoy it DAD, you guys are closer than ever now! GOD BLESS and MANY MANY more!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.