The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night my son scored his first buck with a Horton TRT Ultra Light.

This was the only deer we saw last night. It came in after a quick, soft grunt/rattle sequence. This things came in on a string.

8 point
15 yds broadside
Rage 2 blade Xbow head

Ive killed a lot of deer in my time. Ive done a lot of exciting things. Not too many of those things rank as high as this moment in the woods last night.

Thank you PGC for the Mentor program AND Xbows!!!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Congratulations to both of you!!! Talking from experience it never gets old, kids first.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Congratulations to you both! Can you tell me how you set him up? I need to get my boys set up for shooting my crossbow. Did you use a blind with him in a chair and using a rest for the x-bow?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jayjaysin said:
Congratulations to you both! Can you tell me how you set him up? I need to get my boys set up for shooting my crossbow. Did you use a blind with him in a chair and using a rest for the x-bow?
We were setup in a 17' 2 man ladder stand wrapped in camo burlap.

I have the stand set in a known travel corridor which usually has a ton of acorns. Although the acorns are lacking this year, they still use it as a travel corridor.

It worked last night. Ive been wanting to hunt this spot myself the last few years, but havent. This year I figured it would be perfect for him...easy to walk too...quick in and out from the parking spot. Everything just came together...

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Springer Rage said:
Great job. That is a stocky-looking deer.
It was a nice size deer. It is not gutted in this pic. It was UNREAL how fast that thing gas'd up and bloated.

I left it go for about an hour, waiting on a couple buddies and a camera crew to film the recovery. By the time we got to it, it was really gas'd up. Ive never seen a buck swell that quickly...

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
That is just awesome.
Congrats to the both of you and thank you for passing the tradition on to the next generation.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts