The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Son's buck

Well I don't claim to be much of a writer but here it goes...... My 14 year old and I got an opportunity to try a new area this year. After scouting it and finding that it looked real promising we decided to forgo hunting around our house and make the 45 minute drive to give it a try. He has taken some does but was still looking to put some bone on the wall.
We chose a stand that looked like a nice natural deer funnel at the rear of the property and got to our spot about 6:15 and settled down to wait for daylight. We heard a few coyotes off in the distance and I quickly realized that I was a little underdressed for the morning chill.
From 7 to 7:45 there was a lot of shooting in the surrounding area, more than I have heard in years. Squirrels kept us on our toes until 9:40 when the first deer appeared, a small doe. We saw 4 more that we could not identify a few minutes later. At 10:45 I saw him raise his gun and look through the scope, he whispered "it's a doe." I could see her sneaking parallel to us about 60 years out coming from his left to right. When she hit our shooting lane she stopped and gave a long look back where she had came from. I told him " get ready there are more coming." Then we saw him sneaking along about 40 yards behind her. We both whispered "there's a buck" at the same time. I told him to wait until he gets into the shooting lane and shoot. At the shot he jumped and took off through the brush and I heard him crash down. Throughout the whole process which only lasted about 5 seconds, I never picked up my rifle or even realized the size of the rack. We found him with no problem. I was literally stunned when we walked up to him. Then the celebration began. A nine point, with a split brow tine, that has an inside spread of 18 1/4 inches. I'm not sure who was prouder my son Eli or myself.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Son's buck

Thanks guys. The picture where he is propped up on the sapling is how we found him. Body-wise he is one of the biggest deer I have seen in a while. For reference, my boy is 6ft 220 pounds.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Son's buck

loridr thanks I had a tough time linking the pics. Thanks all it is definitely one to remember.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts