The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<span style="color: #000000"><span style='font-size: 11pt'>WOW----proud dad here guys!!! My 10 year old son and I did some powder burning today!! He was set on my<span style="color: #000000"></span> Lyman Great Plains in a 54 cal! OK --so I bought a Primos TRIPOD that also acts as a bipod and mono pod---3 for one so I spent the $95 instead of $500 for another gun. I started him at 12 yards like my friend Mark B suggested. He could see the shot up close. Started with my 80 gr powder measure HALF full or close to it. Im guessing 40 gr of 3F would be a good starter to see if he liked it. I took the first shot off hand and it landed right next to the bull. His turn off the sticks. His first time ever with a big gun and he was 2 inches away from the bull!!! I was thrilled. Shot 2 more and he was just an inche or 2 away! Great so I moved him back to 20 yards and the same results ---went to about 50 grains of 3F and he did real good. Backed up and at 25 yards---off the paper????????? Swabbed it and gave him another shot same results 1 and a haf inches from the bull----he told me the reason he missed he closed his eyes on that one shot and it went 8 inches low. LOL ALl in all he will hunt off the sticks this year with this gun that I will give him for Christmas as his own. No modern gun, no scope--he wanted it this way! WOW---50 gr of 3F is good enough at 25 yards for a deer after seeing the penetration in the wood behind the targets. 530 patched ball plus 50 gr of 3f will be his hunting load this season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Thanks for reading. Hope to post a pick of us hunting this season.</span></span>

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Terrific my friend. With a dad and a teacher like you he will do just fine. All my best to you and him this season and I hope he gets 1.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scouting looks promising for him to connect at 25 yards...

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well we made it out Saturday for the youth mentor day. It was time well spent in the woods behind our own home. Normally we see plenty of deer.....Saturday saw 0!! LOL Thats hunting I explained to him. He was a little down but bounced back on Sunday when we went out with a friend and his grandfather to the Chesapeak Bay Rock Fishing...His first time trolling---He caught 3 large keepers.....Dad 0!! I will try to post a pic -----I now understand how you guys feel who had fathers take them hunting and fishing...Mine was always working. I cant put a price on sitting with my kid in a blind or with a fishing pole! Some dads just dont get it. I wish the youth mentor was 3 saturdays since Thursday and Friday kids should be in school....... Might have to change that.....

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Sounds like you had a great weekend no matter the outcome. Thats whats its all about. Heres to many more such good times. Tell him to hang in there he will get his chance just be patient.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
I now understand how you guys feel who had fathers take them hunting and fishing...Mine was always working. I cant put a price on sitting with my kid in a blind or with a fishing pole!

BUNKY,YOU get it,that's what is important

1 - 9 of 9 Posts