The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My middle son has autism- He is 21 and will be graduating High school this year. He has a part time job doing piece work( putting tools in packages and boxing them up)
I don't believe it would be safe for him or others to handle a firearm. But I have considered a bow.
I think with supervision( me leaving my bow at home and just he and I hunting would be fine.) Every year since he was little he has allways wanted to hunt with me.
The thing I am not sure about -Can he pass the hunters safty test. (He can read (elementry level) and comprehend well) I am just wondering what the laws are and If I can get a copy of the test to have him practice and most importantly comprehend the test itself. He has been around guns /bows his whole life and has never even once done something dangerious. ( I could(which I wouldn't) leave a gun out and he would never touch it. It will take him a little longer than the few hours they have for the class to pass the test. Not because he won't understand he just can't process info that fast.I have already thought threw hunting situationslike just one bow-- Makeing sure i identify the game /practice /and more practice etc. any imput would be much apprecated
Mike

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
I believe when they did the testing at the Harrisburg sportsman's show they put a bunch of materials online for the "at home" study part of it, but didn't leave it on. Should have left them on for everyone to review and use. It would be perfect for situations like this. Fr. Mike I work for an agency that runs group homes for individuals with developmental disabilities and we've been very successful treating our folks as adults and reaching for and expecting more rather than not challanging and expecting less. For instance we have a few folks that came to our agency with special olympics a part of who they are so they've continued in the program, but for folks with no exposure or preferance we've been successful in getting them involved in regular community softball leagues, bowling leagues, etc. They have become active viable, productive memebers o the society around them on so many levels. Don't let them tell you no or it's unsafe. You know the your son the best. You'll know how much assistance, mentoring, and hands on you need to be to keep everything safe. Perhaps taking the hunter safety booklet from his first class or from someone who's taken the class and preparing your own lessons using the methods he learns best by to illustrate each lesson. Each lesson may only be a small part of the lesson your pulling it from, making a whole bunch of small lessons equaling the lesson being presented in the class so to speak. Not impossible at all with the right individual and the right supports. Keystonepaul

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks keystone,
(TY-- my son was adopted. When we first got him(15 years ago) We were told he most likely wouldn't read ,learn much,He would push his bike because It was reinforced that he "couldn't' ride! That only took about five lessons and he never stopped since.I could tell you a hundred stories of what people said he couldn't do. Our Philosophy was "We are going to lovingly PUSH you to do everthing we think you are capable of.This boy that couldn't do anything wanted his basketball net to go up and down without having to push it up and down with a broom. He must have spent 10 days rummaging around in my shop and got a ladder without any help from me and attached a hand crank with old tie down straps-- found longer bolts etc. It works like a charm! If He wants it lower/higher he just cranks it up or Down. So I think we will take on this challenge one way or another. I don't want him to pass the course because some dogooder lets him slide/or fudges the results. I want him to pass it of his own acheavment.You should here the battles I have with educators over the years with their "false ' self' esteem crap. Wanting to give him a pass on everything to somehow 'boost his self esteem. I would tell them- real self esteem comes through acheavment.It may take him alot longer -but man is he happy when he finally gets it! I can hardly wait when he gets his first deer! Thanks
Mike
Mike

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
That sounds like it can be done. I recommend you contact the regional office responsible for your county and speak to the information education supervisor and explain your situation. The supervisor is responsible for the hunter ed classes and can help you. I am not sure if you can get a study copy of the course prior to the class but the supervisor may recomend using the computer version which you could use a a study guide until you believe your son is ready to take the test. The tests are given in a classroom setting but I know some of them will read the questions aloud for students with reading comprehension problems, the I&E supervisor will be able to steer you in the right direction. I wish your son good luck.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Wishing You both the best in this. Sounds like you are doing a fine job with your son. cant wait to see the pics of his fierat deer.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
I don't have much to add to this topic, except I wish you and your son the best.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I have an older compound bow my uncle gave me a few years back. I have never used it and I would be happy to give it to you if you think you can use it. At the least you will have a free bow to start out with making any adaptation you need. if you want it let me know where in the state you are. then we can figure out a way to get it to you.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WOW- That is a most generious offer(and answer to prayer)
Just today we were looking at bows and I was really torn between a compound and a crossbow for him.You see he will be paying for this himself with his own earned money and I was--a little-- concerned that he might not be able to take on the compound as of yet. Its an issue because even though he is adopted, he is an adult, and we are his sole gaurdians and are answerable to the court every year for every penny of funds that are his-and I might not be able to justify the purchase of 'TWO' bows(Though legitimate) -A non-hunting court officer might not be so inclined. I will gladly pay the shipping. And If fairly close I could drive.
Thank you again
If It is too much for him I will gladly return it to you.
Mike
I will PM you my info

·
Registered
769 Posts
I would think the cross bow would be easier for him to manage depending on his ability level. But please take the bow and try.

·
Registered
769 Posts
this is great! A ''bucket brigade'' across the state. I kind of hope we are on opposite ends of the state, it will make a much better story.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
My cousin's son is autistic. He took a buck this season, as a junior hunter with a 308., his father stayed w/ him and they only had one weapon, like a mentored youth. He has always done well, at camp and w/ the scouts, using a 22 at a range, often out shooting more capable youngsters.

I think you are on the right track w/ your son and it is good to see the support from this board. I hope your son does well and you are to be comended for giving up you time afield to do this.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
how cool is this...if needed, PM me i'm willing to help as well. What size is your son mike? I MIGHT have some camo he can have...he'd have to be a pretty big guy - i've lost a TON of weight.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts