The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and it was already shot a few weeks ago. It's front leg was broken ( it was dangling - it was hit about 6 inches above the hoof ) that's why he targeted that deer. We'd figure we would take it not knowing if it would live or not. We gutted it and the smell was horrible. I think infection set in throughout the body. I don't think we should eat the deer but wanted to get another opinion... I hate to waste a deer... never encountered this before. Your knowledge would be greatly beneficial. Thanks in advance. Triple B

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
My motto is if in doubt throw it out. If it smells bad, then it is bad.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Spirit Bear said:
BUT.........In my opinion, your sone did the ETHICAL thing and chose that deer...........Bravo

·
Registered
868 Posts
Call your local warden and show them the deer and let them have a smell. If it's no good they'll likely issue your son another tag to extend his season.

Mark

·
Banned
2,327 Posts
MarkPSU said:
Call your local warden and show them the deer and let them have a smell. If it's no good they'll likely issue your son another tag to extend his season.

Mark

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Like someone said call the WCO and let him determine if its unfit to eat. I have had 2 replacement tags for deer that were injured and not fit to eat.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Sorry about the doe your son killed,but he did the right thing .nobody likes to see a amimal suffer.He was brought up right, BUT if it stinks don't eat it

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Did the same thing a few years back but the deer was fit too eat,no smell at all.I commend your son for doing the right thing,as others also have.However,get a second opinion and don't take a chance if it smells.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for the information and kind words. We will not eat the deer and dispose of it properly. I still have that smell in my head. Take care and good luck hunting. Triple B

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Not worth the risk, and a WCO can issue a replacement for a deer not fit for consumption. If it was a buck you'd have to give up the rack if you want another tag.

While you are out the venison, you son got some experience of making a good kill shot, and put an animal with very long odds of survival down, so those are two plusses that came out of this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts