The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out turkey scouting yesterday morning and was pretty sucessful with hearing 5 different birds. I decided to check a couple out a little closer since I haven't been down in that area since they clearcut hundreds of acers. There is a couple fenced in areas there so I decided to walk the trail along the fence. I got down to the corner and heard the bird gobble in the distance. I leaned against a tree that was about 6' from the fence and started glassing the area. I didn't see the gobbler, but I did see some deer coming out into the clearcut. Then I heard something crashing inside the fence, it was 2 deer running right toward me and then they stopped and looked back. They then took off and the yearling ran right into the fence. The bird gobbled again and I looked again and still couldn't see him. So I started to look at the deer in the clearcut again and this time there was 11 and more coming out. I then heard crashing inside the fence again so I looked around and saw a 300 lb bear running along the inside of the fence headed right toward me and the corner. I didn't know wheather to run, yell or just stand still. I figured with him being so close and inside the fence I would stand still and let him run on around the fence. At that point the bear climbed the tree in the corner 6' from me and climbed down the other side, Then ran right beside me and I mean 2' away and never spooked or even winded me. I then looked up at the deer in the clearcut and they were troting away and I couldn't believe my eyes. They were in a single file line all 21 of them. All in all I had a great morning and now its time to go home and change my britches.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Come on man,everyone knows there aren't 21 deer left in Pa...LOL
Seriously I would have needed a change of wardrobe after that.

·
Banned
2,327 Posts
It's funny how they can climb those fences to get in them I would have been screaming like a girl lol

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I stood there because I didn't think he was going to climb the tree I just thought he would run on around the fence. He must be use to doing it because he didn't lose any time. I'm also scouting that area for deer now.

·
Registered
355 Posts
wow ya id also be changing my underwear!but awsome experience!

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Great story! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Cool story!But you having to change your britches happens all the time so there's really nothing unusual about that!

·
Registered
337 Posts
That clear cut sounds like it's a concentration of food and good bedding. We have clear cuts where we hunt and the deer love them. They're hard to hunt when they get too overgrown, though.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
holedigger said:
So how's a live bear smell??? LOL!!!
I would have said like crap,but I don't really know if was the bear or my drawers!

The clearcut they just took it off last year and it is mostly all sandy and rocky but there are some young shoots coming up that they are eating on there way back to bed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts