The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason I keep thinking I should pick up a 17hmr. Don't know why, I have a 22 mag. So chime in, which is your personal favorite... And why I should/shouldn't be looking at a 17.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I BASICALLY WAS CONFRONTED WITH THE SAME SITUATION AND BOUGHT THE 17.aFTER SHOOTING IT I THOUGHT TO MYSELF,WHY DID I BUY THIS BECAUSE ANYTHING THIS DOES,ALONG WITH THE 22 MAG.,MY 22 HORNET CAN DO +BETTER.mAY I SUGGEST IF YOU DO BUY A 22 HORNET BUY THE CZ 527 AMERICAN.GREAT FEATURES AND SUPER ACCURATE WHEN SHOOTING THE REMINGTON 35 GR. ACCU-TIP.GOOD LUCK ON WHAT EVER YOU DECIDE.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Where's the line to smack you end at? haha

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Why not have both. I like having choices in the gun safe. I'm pretty sure I would never say I should not have bought that rifle, when I'm lying on my death bed.

·
Super Moderator
4,622 Posts
I felt the exact same way about a year ago.I also have a 22mag.I bought a 17HMR and now I don't feel that way anymore.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Get it. You'll love the accuracy. I have a Marlin and shoot groundhogs with it and crows when on they're on the ground. I have a Nikon Pro Staff 3x9 on it.

Mark

·
Registered
9,493 Posts
Yep,this comparison has been goin on for sometime but the accuracy and smackdown on small critters can,t be beat with the HMR compared to the mag and I have both.Since I have had the HMR I haven,t even takin my mag out of the safe.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right now the line ends at arms length.

Thanks guys. One other thing I should have mentioned, I don't do a lot of hunting that would require it. I don't squirrel hunt, haven't gone after chucks for year(although I want to change that this year). For now it would look like it would be a range gun. Although, for the few hundred it would cost for a Savage I guess it wouldn't be bad.

·
Super Moderator
4,622 Posts
I haven't hunted with my 22 mag or 17 hmr either.Both are good on the range but the hmr is more accurate.Having both scratches that itch.Don't know if it affects you or not.I'm not itchy anymore.Both of mine were made by Savage.My wife says I am obsessed with guns though.I told her no I just like them a lot.

·
Registered
300 Posts
My Savage 17HMR is a tack driver. Kids have a blast with it too. My son calls it his baby odd 6.
I'd say get it. For a couple of Hondo's you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
666 Posts
It looks like you came to the wrong place if you wanted to be talked out of buying a gun.

Seriously, why not have both? Both have strengths and weaknesses compared to the other. You won't regret buying a 17hmr. I needed one like I needed another hole in my head, but I bought one anyhow. It is a blast! Very accurate.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
i bought one last summer. Its really fun to shoot. Lots of ammo available and more zip then the 22lr.
I'd 2nd buying the CZ. Dad had three and all of them were great guns. 22,17,204.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
bolski said:
I wouldn't buy one. Not a huge fan........
Same here.

I never ever based a gun buying decision on need......... EVER. But the .17 HMR is just the answer to a question I never asked. Have a .22LR. Have a pair of 5mm Rem Mags. The .17 HMR's got nothing I need or don't already have more of than what it offers.

That being said........... a buddy of mine has a heavy-barreled Savage in HMR and loves it. It IS accurate.

·
Super Moderator
4,622 Posts
I have 243 Savage sporter barrel,a 22mag and a 17 hmr heavy barrel.The 17 is the most accurate but the other 2 kick butt in that department also.I was not into Savage rifles,then I bought one.I would love to have 5mm though,but ammo is way limited for them.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Hiamovi said:
I would love to have 5mm though,but ammo is way limited for them.
I can go online right now and buy a couple or few thousand rounds of 5mm right now if I wanted....... and for the same price as 3 or 4 years ago.

Can't say the same for my .22LR.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts