The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a little trouble understanding. I found out today (the hard way) that if you're not a resident of Pennsylvania, but are here on active duty military orders, you still have to pay non-resident fees to get a hunting license. Alot of states, such as Arkansas and Texas, will issue a license for free to active duty personnel. I guess the main reason I'm a little miffed about this is I want to go turkey hunting this weekend, but after thinking about it, paying the extra amount doesn't seem fair to those who want to hunt and are going to be here for a long time. What are ya'lls thoughts?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
My son is in Iraq and when he came home on leave during deer season he got his for $2.00 and a doe tag but he is a resident. As far as my opinion they should be free. For you if you are stationed in Pa and active duty you should be entitled to it. Sorry to hear this I hope you are able to buy it and hunt this weekend I know military are paid so poor that they are well below the poverty level and can't even support a family. Where are you stationed at , if close to my area I can help.

Thank You for your service to the American People.

·
Registered
380 Posts
If you would ask me, you are living in Pa that mean you are a resident and you are also active military. So I say Dang it Slick Eddie give our service men free hunting

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
This is the law regarding non-resident active duty military stationed in PA. If you are stationed in PA for 30 days before you apply for a license you are entitled to buy a resident license:

(c) Military personnel stationed in Commonwealth. - Any person regularly enrolled in any branch of the armed forces of the United States or in the United States Coast Guard and officially stationed and quartered within this Commonwealth 30 or more days preceding the date of application shall be a resident for the purpose of this title.

The posts by Kapt Cottontail are not aplicable to the question asked, as most pertains to resident military who were residents before they enlisted and should be deleted so as not to confuse the issue.

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
Does "regularly enrolled" mean that reservists and NG personnel on active duty (and temporarily stationed in PA), do not qualify?

The way things are today, with those components of the military being regularly called-up for deployment to Iraq and Afghanistan, they might as well be considered to be the same as anyone else on active duty?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If reservists are on active duty they qualify, for a weekend training exercise they don't, rmember they must be stationed under orders here for 30 days before they qualify.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm going to check into it, although I've already paid the fees (there's almost no way I was going to miss the opening day of turkey season).
Netboy: I'm stationed in Harrisburg. I'm part of the Air National Guard, but still on active duty orders and will be for awhile.
JohnS: That's pretty much what the guy at the regional office told me, except that he didn't hit up the "30 days" thing alot. But, my orders are for much longer than 30 days. And, I've had others tell me that they got their licenses for 2 dollars and were in state residents.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Only PA resident military can get the two dollar license. The key to a non resident military getting a resident license is being here on orders for 30 days before the license is purchased.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
John S said:
Only PA resident military can get the two dollar license. The key to a non resident military getting a resident license is being here on orders for 30 days before the license is purchased.
Okay, that makes more sense. The guy I talked to told me that the only way you could get any military discount was to be a resident of Pennsylvania stationed somewhere other than the commonwealth. That didn't make a lick of sense to me. Either way, it wasn't going to help me out, but I thought that was a little ridiculous.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And he did mention something about 30 days, but it was kind of a blur because I wasn't in a listening mood at that point and he was being pretty vague with details.

·
Registered
154 Posts
In my opinion, which don't ammount to much I suppose, if you are active duty you should get your tags for free. In my union, the Ironworkers, all active duty members do not have to pay union dues and are first on the list to return to work when they go back to civilian status. It has been that way since WW-1.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
I served in the military (Marine Corps), and have a disability rating as a result of my service from injuries I had sustained.

Having said that, why should we get a "free" license?

Yes, we serve or have served our country and that is admirable. But to say that because we serve or served should qualify us for "free" everything is just absurd in my opinion.

All active duty from PA are extended a courtesy of a $2 license, and are gaurenteed a doe license in the WMU of their choice.

Active duty from elsewhere serving for extended periods (30 days or longer) are offered hunting licenses at resident prices.

100% disabled vets are offered a free doe tag.

I'm not opposed to the discounts offered or the courtesies extended with regard to the doe license, but I think
it goes far enough.

AS pointed out by alasak, military members are extended courtesies and discounts in their regular jobs. Lowes offers a 10% discount to all veterans with proof of service (or at least they did), and that list is VERY long.

Its nice that people who serve/served are honored and appreciated- but I don't think it should be "free".

Just a view from another perspective.

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
I feel that if you are an active member of the armed forces, what would hurt to show our appreciation for them giving thier time to keep us safe. The 30 days would still apply. But that is MO, as an vet from the 70's it helps.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
We do show our support. They get a discounted license.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts