The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

on this last photo any of you 7d shooters now why i'm not getting the tack sharp image like the camera should be giving me , this deer was only about 10' away and shot with the 500mm

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I don't shoot a 7d, but the eye looks sharp, at that distance I would say it is more of a depth of field issue, did you shoot it at F4? At that distance with my 500 I would probably start at F8, and go from there.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Nice pics. Jase, I can't way to see the ones you'll get on you sea duck hunt!! Make sure to take a bunch, and post um for us.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Jason...I hope you don't mind, but I copied your photo to my computer so that I could open it in Photoshop and check the data. I noticed that the close-up shot of the doe was taken at f/4 and 500mm...that would lead to a VERY narrow depth of field at that range...also the shutter speed was listed at 1/60th of a second which really makes it difficult to get sharp photos at 500mm. I also opened one of the Buck photos and saw that it was shot at 1/40 of a second. Those are very slow shutter speeds for such a long focal length shot, especially if the camera was not tripod mounted. Even then, those are tough data readings for getting sharp shots. I shoot a 20D and 60D with the 100-400mm and I get similar disappointing sharpness with slower shutter speeds and narrow DOF. That being said...if you are getting those results with faster shutter speeds and smaller apertures, then something else might be at play.
The photos are very nicely exposed, good color and your composition is excellent! Keep shooting and testing...and see how things turn out with optimal lighting (the key variable). I always enjoy your photos...and have spent a good deal of time exploring the Muncy Valley area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts