The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to up my sheath game a bit. Been going over some tutorials and tried these out. Both are lined with deer skin, One is a pouch style on a knife I made.(Note the first plain black sheath is in the picture and then the second fancier one) Then other is a new sheath for a Older Buck knife.

Always welcome constructive criticism.

Hope everyones winter is going well

Ross

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Nice work. I really like the one on the buck knife. I have a Buck model 102 Woodsman and the only thing I DON'T like about the knife is the sheath. Yours is a big improvement.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Good stuff Ross!! Nice clean work.

Tipmans are OK. Comes in handy when I have a bunch to make. That said, all my higher end knives get hand-stitched.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks real NICE. Thinking about getting some sort of sewing machine for myself. Anybody use tippman Boss? Want something fairly simple.
I have never used a tippman but I do have several sewing machines. All come with a learning curve. I dont say this to discourage you just be aware. Also you need one like a tippman or others that can sew thick enough leather. All come with a pretty heavy price tag. For example the Boss on a quick search is at least $1350 new. I hand sewed my sheaths for a long time and it works fine. Some simple hand tools like a groover, overstitchwheel and awl can get you going real well. Comes down to how much you plan to make or if you just like to have a machine go for it. The two sheaths pictured I sewed on a needle awl machine for the record.

Ross

·
Registered
388 Posts
When I hand stitch, I still punch holes using the drill press with a sewing needle in the chuck. Doesn't remove any material and make sit go fast..... as fast as hand work goes :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts