The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for constructive criticism and/or critique.

Scent post set (#2 Bridger OS). Its right along the border road around a Christmas tree field and right where an ATV trail comes up out of about 50 acres of nasty thick hillside. Anything coming out the ATV trail is looking smack at the post.

Standard dirthole (#2 Bridger OS) 300 yards up the tree field border road where it bends 90 degrees away from the woods and out between two patches of trees.

A double set intended for coyote. A standard dirthole (MB 550) on one side of a gaswell road at the edge of a 30 yard square mowed area. There is a tractor opening in a fencerow here where 'yotes seem to like to run.

And then the second set of the double, a flat set (MB 550), is 15 yards across the gaswell road where there's a second opeining into another tree field.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I use more step down dirtholes than anything else. I like my pan to be 2-3" below the rest of the ground. That requires commitment from the coyote and really reduces marginal toe catches. Other than that, they look just like mine. Good Luck.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Extreme Trapper said:
Just IMO, if you want some more eye appeal for the dirt hole, make a blown out dirt hole set. Works real well for me.
Meaning a bigger diameter hole ??

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
g3trappernc said:
I use more step down dirtholes than anything else. I like my pan to be 2-3" below the rest of the ground. That requires commitment from the coyote and really reduces marginal toe catches. Other than that, they look just like mine. Good Luck.
Does your whole dirt pattern sit that depth below the terrain ?? Do you leave a sharp drop-off or do you blend/taper it down ?

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cooncrazy said:
wind direction?
Wind was out of the east when I made them. But I made them for a west wind (which is prevailing) and crossed my fingers things would get back to usual soon.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't think there is anything there that I wouldn't have done.This time of the year I try to blend most of my sets in like that. To many people out hunting or looking for deer to make sets to noticeable.If you are on location and have have seen sign just stay away from them and you should be fine.Good work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts