The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have hunted the same farm for over 20 years . I am very good friends with the farmer and his family. That being said- he told me that a group of goose hunters keep bothering him to lease out his field to them. He told me they hear me banging away and would really like to lease the fields so ONLY they could hunt them. I know for a fact that they have at least 2 other farms tied up near the farm I hunt and they are very productive. It really burns me that these guys don't care about anyone else but themselves. Rant now over.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Welcome to the future of waterfowling... but at the same time maybe they just wanna push the pass shooters out of the area to create better hunting for themselves... if u have money the sky's the limit

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Their one field had over 1000 geese in it today. It don't get any better than that. And they still aren't satisfied.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know .Don't care if it's a guide service or not. FYI - if you were referring to me as pass shooting - All my banging on that farn is over me decoys. It's a hot field - that's why the interest.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Chances are its probably a guide service... and idc about your hunting ethics LOL truth be told leasing or sole permission is nice... don't gotta worry about getting up extra early to get ur spot

·
Registered
278 Posts
And its real nice for the working man that has money but can't hunt everyday of the week... keeps guys off it so ya can have good Saturday hunts. Prevents over pressuring!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Pretty simple if u ask me. Farmers have bills too. I have to Pay five leases a year. Works out quite well for the farmer and my self.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh don't get me wrong. I don't blame the farmer at all. Things are hard enough for farmers. I just remember when I started goose hunting in the 70's that all the fields were open to first comne, first serve. Even nicer was some of us would invite others to join us when they got there. Made alot of good friends that way. Sadly, those days are gone.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What about the poor working man that can't afford a lease? It is becoming a rich man's sport. Poor everyday working man is out of luck.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If u can't afford a couple hundred year u should maybe consider not being a goose hunter because i believe alot of guys probably spend a grand or 2 in gas a year just in scouting alone... it is absolutely a rich mans sport

·
Registered
278 Posts
Not saying that... but leasing is pretty much the future of goose hunting. At least near big refuge places being from Lebanon I'm sure u know how middle creeks getting?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't need no stinkin trailer. I hunt with 3 dozen decoys at the most. The number depends on the conditions of that particular day. That's what I find challenging. Some find putting out a trailer load of geese on the X where hundreds of geese have been feeding a challenge. I find running traffic with my 3 dozen or less decoys not only challenging but very rewarding when I finally get a goose to finish.I don't kill alot of geese, but I don't need to. Maybe it's my age, but I don't gauge my success by the number of geese I kill. But that's me. Yesterday, I watched a sharp shinned hawk fly over crows roosing in trees. That poor hawk had a devil of a time when those crows noticed him. For me that's as rewarding as killing a limit of geese.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I mean ya can complain about leasing but that's all the good its gonna do... the Almighty dollar is too powerful and from a farmers view why wouldn't u want to lease to a good respectable crew of hunters? Its a win win situation... get money for allowing good guys to hunt while keeping potential idiots off that may cause trouble. And if there not a good crew of guys ya give em the boot!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts