The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what I do with my skins.
I tan them for use in Taxidermy.

Here's the first batch tanned and dry. I have a few more to go.

The under side

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
foxtrapperwoman said:
Do you sell them? The ranch type mink are cool and the coyote looks like a really pretty pale one.
I plan on doing a few up as mounts with sceneries for sale and also sell a few skins(waiting on my MT fur dealers permit). The coyotes out here are a real nice pale color, almost like a ghost. Those ranch mink are a huge skin when tanned. I have 3 more mink and my badger in the pickle bath now plus I have the big mink from yesterday and 2 reds in the freezer and also a few white jackrabbits left to tan.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
The NAFA wild-ranch mink auction is going on now. The mink you caught would probably go as ranch mink if you had them at the sale. They are averaging around $100.00 each!

Beautiful job on the furs!

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I'd love to have one of the black looking mink, even if it was the smallest one. But at this point, I'd have to trade something, my cash flow is slowing down.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
foxtrapperwoman said:
I'd love to have one of the black looking mink, even if it was the smallest one. But at this point, I'd have to trade something, my cash flow is slowing down.
We can do a trade, PM me.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just finished the tan on some more furs, heres the Badger I caught all tanned and ready to mount.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
hey montana,
with the Mackenzie tan, do you find the hide shrinks and gets hard esp. around the head area? will this hamper the mounting process or id the hide dehydrated some how so it can be stretched? i did my bobcat and noticed it shrinking and toughening alot as it dried. i spritzed it with water, stretched it then rolled up and froze until my rug shell gets here. i wonder if this is why the last direction on the Mackenzie tan is mount or freeze for mounting.

·
Registered
625 Posts
'cat, not a taxidermist here but.... yeah, I think you will want to rehydrate the hide before mounting. I think that most use plain distilled/spring water. If you use a professional tan, it will not wash-out/dissolve. I personally use liqua tan. I don't have any experience with other brands. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!!
BTW- ordered my pup from 3 bears kennel... Should be here beginning of Sept. I'm pumped! :)

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Before mounting the hide must be rehydrate.
All skins shrink some when tanned,rehydrating will give you some stretch too.Also while the hides are drying I use my hands to stretch the hides as they dry it reduces the shrinking a lot.
For hides to be soft they have to be shaved during the tanning and then tumble dried.This will break the skin and make it soft. I toss mine in the dryer on no heat for half and hour to soften them up.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Thick bobcat head/neck on a big tom like that, should be thinned. I thin coon necks and the back cheek area while still green, for some reason it's easier to do then, rather than after pickling. I do it by hand though.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
thanks guys. i thinned it pretty good by hand with a sharp knife. it will be my first attempt at something like this so it will probably look like something from pet cemetery anyway.
MB, at what point do you use the dryer? wife works alot so if i can get away with traps in the dish washer then fur in the dryer is no problem.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ill use the dryer after the hide is totally dry just to soften the hide up. The head and neck area on many animals is thicker and tougher to take abuse when the animals get bit or fight . That will make for a stiffer hide if its not shaved down either before the pickel or after the pickel .
I just tanned a bobcat I got from a friend in Texas and after tanning it the skin is some what stiff after a run in the dryer the skin is a lot more pliable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts