The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Some might not call it success, I do

3K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  WexfordBowhunter 
#1 ·
Took my grandson, 13 yo out on friday morning for doe. In the stand at 6:15 am. 7;15 we the 1st deer, a legal buck, at 8:15 a mule of a doe came down the trail slowly feeding along the edge and stepped into the bushes that still has lots of leaves. We watcher her for a half hour, only seeing bits and pieces through the leaves but even though well in range, she never gave the boy a decent shot and eventually she walked away. About 9am my grandson ask, are those wild turkeys? 4 turkeys walked past us. I had prearanged with my BIL to do a push about 10:am, I knew how he was going to push so I told the boy where to look,and to watch the trail because they usually come down the trail on a push, about 10:15 two doe broke out of the woods and ran across the field but there was no safe shot, then at about 10:30 four nice doe came right down the trail and were going to pass within 10 yards of the treestand. I told the boy to pick the easiest one for him and take it, they were all doe. He got rattled because they were so close and so close together walking at a fast walk that he couldn't make up his mind which one to take and didn't shoot til they had gone into the bushes and had a clean miss, I checked for evidence of a hit. It was the first deer he ever shot at, he saw a lot last year but they were all moving too fast for a 12 yo to shoot at between the trees. He took the miss well, I told him everyone sooner or later will miss, better to do it sooner. It was a gorgous day to be hunting, not too hot, not too cold. We saw huge flocks of cedar waxwings in the treetops eating wild grape and probably over 100 warblers, don't ask me what kind, they were olive colored with a red dot on their heads and Quinn saw his first Pilliated woodpecker that landed on a tree very close to us. No deer on the ground but a good time was had by both of us. BTW, my BIL is over 65 and has a doe license for the WMA we were hunting.

See less See more
#10 ·
Kids learn and Adults learn a great deal from misses. My son on Saturday who is 9 years old been hunting since 5 said to I cant see enough of the vitals. We had a 7 pt at 35 yards. I could see him plain as day. He has the crossbow up ready to go. He then says I dont want to chance wounding him. By the time he got in the opening he quartered away and walked out of range. He missed one like this last year so he learned from the miss. Many are opposed of the mentored hunt but I can honestly say my 9 year old has benefited a great deal.

#11 ·
It doesn't get any better than that John. Sounds like a great day afield. I've always been of the mind that it's the hunt, that makes the hunt. Killing is just the icing on the cake and it will come with a little more experience.

#12 ·
That's a great day of hunting and you got to enjoy it with your grand son!! Not to quote an old Milwaukee commercial but it doesn't get any better than that!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.