The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this on another forum and thought some of you would be interested in seeing it.

Starting at our house and going around the property in a loop.

Planted 33 various apple and pear trees from ACN nursery around the house to add to the 7 mature apple trees already there.

Around the edges we planted Dolgo crabs, strawberry bush, mountain ash and Chinese Chestnut.

Here's the 1.3 acre pond by the house but it's still about 5 ft from being full. Has a small seep somewhere up top.

Also by the pond, we've planted various oaks to include Sawtooth, Dwarf Chinkapin, Red oak and a couple varieties of Okois hybrids.

Here's a second orchard behind the pond. Were already 10 mature trees and quite a few very mature hawthorne. To this we added Arkansas Black, Keiffer pear, Whitney Chestnut crab and Chestnut crab. Entire area around pond is planted in a 5 clover mix.

Put in a couple miles of driveable trails.

Clearcut leaving oaks to reseed and also planted various crab seedlings.

There's multiple shelves going up the property.

Multiple areas planted in American plum..

Open woods between clearcut areas. Very diverse timber including Hard and soft maple, cherry, ash, poplar, white and red oak, hickory and beech.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Winding roads leading up hill.

To give you an idea of the slope between shelves.

At the top of the property, intensive select timber harvesting was done on poorer growing sections. We opened up the forest floor and are getting thousands of seedlings along with black berry, red and black elderberry and more fruit shrubs I have yet to identify.

Another clearcut on top of property replanted with Chinese Chestnut and Dwarf Chinkapin along edges.

Plnted 18 Realtree Dunstan Chestnuts in 3 different spots where we could find roon.

Another clearcut planted with hundreds of spruce and white pine.

A little further down is another clear cut. Planted in Dwarf Chinkapin oak, Allegheny Chinkapin and Saul Oaks.

Also planted white pines in this clear cut and trying bud cups because they get torn up by deer.

Larger 82 tree apple orchard from ACN nursery.

Tress include:

Crimson Topaz
Initial
Querina
Enterprise
Goldrush
Crimson Gold
Freedom

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the edges, we planted Dolgo Crabs, hazelnut, Allegheny Chinkapin and some Saul oaks.

The trees in that field were planted in 2010.

Last year someone told me to pant clover between the trees and that's what we did.

More pear trees planted along edge of gas well road.

Another clearcut which was mostly quaking aspen.

In this 10 acre area, we had larger oaks and we cut out the competition.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's some more pics showing what's coming up naturally in some of our openings.

Flowering Dogwood

Dogwood

Red Elderberry

Black Elderberry

Sumac

On the bottoms, we're getting hazlenuts and some type of blueberry coming up.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd say the best wildlife tree we have for deer is hands down Swamp White Oak. Quick nut producer in as little as 7 - 10 years and extremely desirable by deer. Grows very well on our place along the creek bottoms. We're cutting out any competition these have.

Here's some 14 - 16" trees but we have some ancient ones pushing 4' in diameter.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Very nice! How much ground do you have if you don't mind me asking? Do you have a high deer population? I'm guessing you don't since you have a lot of natural plants coming up in your cuts.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bake545 said:
Very nice! How much ground do you have if you don't mind me asking? Do you have a high deer population? I'm guessing you don't since you have a lot of natural plants coming up in your cuts.

We have 182 acres. Very high deer population which seems to have exploded in the last couple years. Not sure why the more desirable plants aren't getting crushed but we do have quite a bit of agricultural land around here.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
rrroae - looks fantastic. Thanks for the tour. Do you have an extensive workforce helping with these projects? Do you have sections of your land where you aren't doing much? It looks like you've overwhelmed your deer population with available food sources so they can't have a particularly large impact on any single source. That's a great approach and one that could be taught to other parts HPA.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HomeintheWoods,

I used a forester to do a timber stand improvement. We touched no oaks and made clearcuts in the less desirable timber. Everything else was me and my trusty Kubota tractor.

Some areas we haven't touched yet. Either good growing timber or saving some areas for future clear cuts. My goal is to have around 8 - 10 clearcuts about an acre in size on a rotational cycle.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Wow. Now I know why you say there is nothing left to do! LOL. I wish I was your neighbor. Well maybe not, cause the deer will never come over. I'm just trying to get things started on my property. How many years did it take for you to get that all done. That is an enormous amount of work.
Here's a tip on your pond seep. Assuming you know where it is at. Use bentonite clay. It swells up when wet and blocks out the water. I had a little seep in one of my ponds and I knew where it was at. First is poured some pea gravel down, then some sand then kitty litter. (Generic unscented Wal Mart brand has the right clay) I had a good flow going through it so I wanted the larger size of gravel to add bulk first then some litter, then sand, then litter again. I stopped the seep for me. I think I topped it with a little more pea gravel too. Carefulll as you don't want to disturb the clay. That was in June and it is still holding up.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
HEY RRR i still want that tour, just an incredible property.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
OUTSTANDING! One of the best Posts I've seen on HPA, thank you.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I think rrroae has initiated a great topic. I'm confident there are others who have also done some outstanding work. Maybe we can get a few more, all as separate topics, going. The QDMA magazine has property profiles a couple times a year and I read them with great interest.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks fellas again for the compliments.

Rooster, your welcome anytime and one of these days I want to get up to your place.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
HomeintheWoods, I'd really like to see some pics of your place if you ever feel like posting them.

You might not know it but you've helped me tremendously in the past just by reading your posts.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts