The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a boy growing up near E-town Hershey area..You never heard of Turkey in that area..just wasn't any, you had to go north or south central part of the state. And then it was tough to find them. But i remember lots of pheasants near home. deer numbers were pretty good in dauphin county then. Not even close to as many houses back then as now.
Camp was lycoming county we occasionally saw bear back in the 70's but nothing like now..deer hunting was pretty good but i simply don't recall seeing the big herds like some guy's claim. turkey were not nearly as common. Coyotes were unheard of although i guess they existed in small numbers.

I married moved to juniata county in the 80's..Man we had deer! and turkey...way more than up north. Deer season you'd see deer all day long. And it sounded like a war zone the first morning of buck. Bear were practically unheard of until you got above lewistown in the seven mt region.then you got into bear. coyote were rare.

Skip ahead to today.... they got Turkey in southeast PA..still decent deer hunting if you can find a place to hunt. They even see an occasional bear that wonders into the area but overall pretty rare.

juniata and mifflin county's we still got deer, although not even close to what there was in the 80's ..Ive had day's where i hunt all day and don't see a deer..some day's maybe 6 or so occasionally more..they shoot more big buck now. turkey numbers are still pretty decent..loads of coyote and a fair number of bear.

nortcentral lycoming ect...some areas on the state ground away from fields pretty tough to find deer sometimes. But they are still there. my family does ok because they hunt hard..But it's not common to see a lot of deer in a day. seeing 6 or so would be a good day. But normally 1-3 deer and some day's none.Turkey hunting is better than years ago..lot's of bear and coyote. some big buck being shot.

Overall camps are not nearly as full now as years ago. And many are empty. by wed of the 1st week not many guy's in the woods in a lot of areas.

I'm sure it varies from place to place but over the years..some things i have observed. i spend a lot of time in the woods year round.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I grew up in East Hanover. I hunted, trapped and fished the Swatty, Manada and Bow Creek. We posted farms for the farmers and helped out with things. Step-dad had a mower business on the side and worked on mowers, chainsaws, etc. for folks. Shot tons of pheasants, rabbits and squirrels growing up. Also went up to Lycoming for deer and bear. Things have changed there, and in lots of farming areas close to urban areas.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts