The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are most mzl deer harvested by drivers?Seems like most folks that are seeing and or getting shooting are gangs driving.I am a solo hunter this time of year, since I really do not have anyone to drive the brush out with when I do get out and over the years have had very minimal success in even seeing deer.I only have access to SGL that are highly pressured.Feels like I'm peeeing in the wind and wonder why I bother, but love being out there regardless.Deer movement seems almost non-existent this time of year except maybe at first or last light.Trying to locate and harvest deer on big pressured SGL is a challenge for sure.

·
6,448 Posts
the group of guys I hunt with (6 of us) have shot 7 deer total. 4 while hunting alone and 3 on drives. we hunted 4 days together and off and on alone the other parts of the season. this is an unusual year for us we normally get most of our deer together but some couldn't make it every day.

·
Banned
540 Posts
I to hunt alone and have had pretty good
success doing the slow walk. Previous years
with rifle. Now with a flinter. I try
and go as slow as possible.
Like my hunt area theres plenty of sign.
but it has taken me 5 yrs to really know
the spots the deer like this time of year.
Now ill walk around those spots. If they
are in there they will get up and move.
just depends how far they run now with the
flintlock. Knowledge of the area thickets
is the key. I like to see deer every trip out
but doesnt happen. At least I hopefully learn
something though. If we pay attention the deer
will teach us. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
I hunt with friends at times but mostly they are on their own also or put on drives for themselves.They are rarely successful.None of them ever scored with a f/lock.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Walk slow or spot and stalk have gotten 90 % of my flintlock deer. They seem to be not as wary after gun season.

·
Registered
575 Posts
When I firsyt started with a flintlock many years ago we put on drives. Saw a bunch of deer but never got one as I could not catch up with them as they nearly flew by. More recently my son and I hunt together and make small very slow pushes to each other. We have got a couple deer that way but most have been either morning or evening stationary hunts.

·
Banned
900 Posts
I'm about 50/50. This year the drives have been far more productive as far as seeing deer for sure. The first day brings 6-8 of us together and usually results in a couple of kills. This year is was all shots and misses. I almost always shoot mine on the drive.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Driving them. Hunt with a bunch of friends, the core group of us also rifle and turkey hunt together. ML brings a few other friends to hunt with. It's all good, we just enjoy hunting.........

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
buzz said:
Driving them. Hunt with a bunch of friends, the core group of us also rifle and turkey hunt together. ML brings a few other friends to hunt with. It's all good, we just enjoy hunting.........
Enjoying the hunt is the best part killing deer is just a by-product or maybe when Buzz misses that's the best part
Driving deer is very productive for both the watchers and drivers.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Solo. The trick is to go slow. The last 2 days being wet was great for sneaking around. Only problem is keeping the flash powder dry. Mondays fog was a killer. Almost shot a spike due to it. Good thing I waited.

When my kids were younger, I always pushed to them. I could have killed sooooo many deer doing this. It taught me to slow down and be ready for one to stand up at the next step. Keep at it and go slow. It will happen for you..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts