The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to install a solar system this spring at my cabin. Not looking to power the whole place, just some lights, tv and frig.

Any recommendations of a supplier ?

Registered
try your local electric company for recommendations or local electrical contractor for recommendations or go online and do a search for it.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #5

Good vid on the subject I came across

Registered
Looking to install a solar system this spring at my cabin. Not looking to power the whole place, just some lights, tv and frig.

Any recommendations of a supplier ?

Does your place have electric now?

My place is only solar powered. All lights inside are 12 volt. Fridge is propane. only run generator to run power tools or A/C when wife is around.

It it was more efficient to run 12v only then to boost to 120 AC.

Take an energy audit of what you want to run then you can get a solar system. It is very easy to get parts and build yourself.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #7
No power at my place but is available. What I will spend to bring in power will pay for a small system and not have a monthly expense.

My cabin is used mainly for seasonal, long weekend getaways ( May to October, I hunt locally ) and am only looking to keep a small frig going continuously and use a tv/ dvd for the occasional rainy days and a pump for showers. I have a abundance of oil lamps for lighting but being able to flip a switch for that 2 am trip to the back porch would be convenient. Off season the system will be mothballed

I understand your thoughts of 12v lighting but I have no room for a mechanical area in the cabin so the system is going to be housed in a shed some 60鈥 away and would have to contend with increasing wire size to accommodate voltage drop vrs inverters to 120 with led lights

Registered
I see your issue. You can run 6 or 8 AWG from the shed to cabin and then branch off with 14 or even 16 to the lights. 12 volt LED lights draw so little current I do not think you will have an issue with voltage drop.

Just keep in mind, for every 1 amp (120 watts) you draw on 120 volts you will draw, at least, 10 amps from a 12 volt battery. Make sure you have big enough wire from your batteries to your inverter.

Registered
When you start talking inverters and such, you are getting into money that might not need to be spent. Guy down the road was not connected to the grid for several years. He had two smaller solar panels on the roof and a couple of small windturbines. In the basement of his place he had a bank of marine deep cycle batteries.. He used 12 volt led bulbs through out the house and had a 12 volt coffee pot, 12 volt electric sauce pan, 12 volt color tv set and a 12 volt refrigerator. Propane stove and water heater. The panels and turbines would generate enough for the three day weekends that he came to stay. If he was staying longer, he had a long heavy 12 volt cord that he plugged into his work truck. He let the truck run for about 15 minutes and that would charge his batteries enough for another day. Of course if it was real windy, the 2 - 450 watt turbines could keep the place powered. Gus grew up on an island in the Mediteranean where folks didn't have grid power. He wanted nothing to do with an inverter to run things, he said it "lost" too much power in the conversion.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #10
So I finally got around to getting things done. Like mentioned before, I have limited room so I ran some conduit, put a gravel pad in and had a 12x24 shed delivered

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #11
Started mounting the components and retro fitted a wood box to a battery box

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #12

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #13
And finally, all components hooked up and have power. I still have to get the panels mounted and wired into the charge controller as well as tying into the breakers. Had a plan but after some thought changed the layout so some more components are needed.
So 3 100w solar panels to a 40amp charge controller charging 6, 6 volt batteries ( 3 sets wired in series for 12 volts) feeding a 3k watt inverter to a 2 space enclosure housing 2 15 amp breakers, 1 for the cabin and 1 for the shed
AC77A3BE-E623-4FCC-936E-C0E4A1DE9582.png

Registered
looks good....there are so many ways to go with solar. I will be interested in what you can run off this system without harming the batteries.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #16
Probably a lot more then I intend to. The only somewhat continuous load will be a small frig and the largest load will be a shallow well pump for a quick shower and some dishes

Reactions: NorthernPotterCo
1 - 16 of 16 Posts