The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently purchased an off grid camp in the Moshannon State forest. It has gas lighting, and is wired for a generator. I more or less would like to see what it would take to install a small solar system to run some lights, and maybe an alarm clock and coffee pot. It would be nice to just flip a switch when you wake up in the morning. I'm assuming I can get by with a relatively small and cheaper set up for this. I have no idea what i would need to buy, or what option are available for that kind of setup. I do have wiring knowledge and am pretty handy with whatever. What are some suggestions from you guys that have gone that route?

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
If you keep everything 12V it sure makes things easier and cheaper if you just basically need just lights. Mine is a 50Watt panel with a single marine battery. If you start going for 110V and want to run alot of stuff the solar needed will start to get pretty expensive. I am running my fan on my composting toilet, lights, phone and DVD charging, and a 12V RV pump for water. I have found this system keeps up fine. I figure if I am there for a week in bad solar times, I may have to use my generator and a battery charger to help it out. So far in the last year I haven't had that issue. I use my genny for the toaster, tools, vacuum, and basically anything that has a large electrical requirement. I have links below.

This is a thread that I started last year that has links to what I bought.

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/80-hunting-camp/234802-solar-setup.html

This is my cabin thread which does show some pics. I made some brackets under my cabin to hold the battery.

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/80-hunting-camp/209265-ohio-camp-gets-cabin.html

I think the only thing I didn't link was the 12V LED light bulbs that I got that fit in a standard fixture.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y1RYVC8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For coffee, I use this. Heat the water on my propane stove. It isn't the greatest but it makes a good cup. There is also some other things like a french press that you can make coffee with electricity.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-M...MI9K2xqb713QIV0ODICh2FyQctEAQYASABEgLqfvD_BwE

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
If you start doing alot of reading on solar it can really blow your mind. JasonN and some others on here were a huge help to me and coached me along to this simple setup. You can check out his cabin thread to.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. It seems simple enough. I suppose for light you could just use porcelain holders with a pull cord, and then wire them to the switches. That way you can use them independantly of wanted.

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
That is what I did. However when I finished the inside I got these to make it look a little better. I have most of them on a switch but then I use the pull cords to only have light where needed.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Years ago we bought a battery and a few lights from goal zero. It is simple to use and set-up if that is the route you want to go but the stuff is expensive compared to building your own set-up. Our battery is on a solar panel and it seems to keep up with our needs for lights. If I were starting off I would make my own set-up but we are looking at having electric run into the camp if we can swing the finance part.

·
Registered
270 Posts
For batteries, is it better to use 2 6v batteries wired in series or the obvious 12v battery. Asking because someone told me that the 6v are constructed better.

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
For batteries, is it better to use 2 6v batteries wired in series or the obvious 12v battery. Asking because someone told me that the 6v are constructed better.
I have heard that has well. I think alot of people use golf car batteries. My solar experience is limited though and I have never tried them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts