The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything planted and mowed for the year, all stands hung and access trails finished, all cameras in action on mock scrapes. Time to clean up equipment, keep up with the waterholes ( the bears are using them like crazy ) take soil samples ( 8 plots ) and maybe do a little hunting :smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Is that winter rye there ya got growing? Love that weedless look!!! Nice plot.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that one is actually whitetail institute oats, wheat, and rye combo. Unfortunately that was a brassica field that was overwhelmed with pigweed. I had to spray it with Glyphosate towards the end of Aug. hence the real clean field.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I have a similar problem in a plot where some rye grass was in a seed mix and I missed it, I now have and infestation and need to begin eradicating it, It was just too close to the season to tackle it, hoping to get on it early spring and get things back under control next year.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a similar problem in a plot where some rye grass was in a seed mix and I missed it, I now have and infestation and need to begin eradicating it, It was just too close to the season to tackle it, hoping to get on it early spring and get things back under control next year.
It's not the end of the world, as it's a decent cover crop. I'd spray in the spring though. :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My problem with pigweed is that one plant has an average of 25,000 seeds and if let them go and drop said seeds, that can become a major problem in a hurry. The parts of the fields that I sprayed and killed the seeds were not viable yet, same for the one's I pulled. I pulled( conservatively ) 600 plants out of 2 fields, now i'm no math major but that's a lot of seeds that won't be dropped in those plots to devil me next year

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
The deer don't seem to care for the rye grass, which takes way too much growth potential away from the brassica which the deer love. I'm gonna work on it come spring.

Reactions: OAWC

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
The deer don't seem to care for the rye grass, which takes way too much growth potential away from the brassica which the deer love. I'm gonna work on it come spring.
Yeah, the rye grass is junk. Cheap filler seed for the seed companies....comes in very green and grows well, so it looks good to the guy planting it. However, the deer do not use it much at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts