The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just back home from God's country. After 12 days of picking rocks in the past 3 weeks I am entering a new era of planting and soil conservation.I just purchased a bigger sprayer ( 60 gal, crop care with 20 ft. spray width boom arms ) and a RTP genisis 5 no-till drill. i'm very excited to get started. After 10 yrs. of tilling , disking, and broadcasting on my sloped fields i am looking for a better solution. I have washed away far much soil and killed far too many earthworms to suit me.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Good move, I'm purchasing a 60 gallon cropcare for our mule with a 12 ft. boom.
No more tilling, except tillage radish.

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
Just back home from God's country. After 12 days of picking rocks in the past 3 weeks I am entering a new era of planting and soil conservation.I just purchased a bigger sprayer ( 60 gal, crop care with 20 ft. spray width boom arms ) and a RTP genisis 5 no-till drill. i'm very excited to get started. After 10 yrs. of tilling , disking, and broadcasting on my sloped fields i am looking for a better solution. I have washed away far much soil and killed far too many earthworms to suit me.
Please let me know how you like the No-till. That is on my dream list of equipment.

·
Registered
960 Posts
One tip, I hope you have quite a bit more horsepower than the 45hp minimum. That minimum is for flat ground in good worked soil. You get on a rocky hillside with a lot of stubble/residue and you can quickly get in trouble without enough HP. 2600lb machine plus seed on a 3 pt hitch sideling on a rocky hillside can get hairy without enough hp. And you need to sidle (go with the contour) to achieve the soil conservation. Planting up and down the hill, even with a no till does very little.

I rent out a 7 foot Great Plains and require 75hp minimum and closer to 90hp on steep ground.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it should be fine. I went down to Grant Woods place in the Ozark Mountains of Missouri in March for his field days. He uses the same machine to plant 50 acres twice a year and his soil is more rock than dirt and is holding up fine

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
No matter what equipment you use rocky ground will be rough on equipment. I think the no-till would probably handle rocky ground better since you only go over it once and you aren't going very deep.

How many acres do you put in a year One Horn? Please post up some pics with your results.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the heads up, I have a Kubota M70 it picked it up fine and will take it slow starting out. Worse case its back to the dealer for a bigger machine, if i roll it over i might end up in divorce court

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm at 10 acres with another 5 or 6 in the planing stages, I picked all the surface rocks and am planting at about an inch. i hope to eventually big more soil on top of the ones underground, and there are plenty of them. I would love to post pictures but do not have the computer skills for that

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
I'm at 10 acres with another 5 or 6 in the planing stages, I picked all the surface rocks and am planting at about an inch. i hope to eventually big more soil on top of the ones underground, and there are plenty of them. I would love to post pictures but do not have the computer skills for that

10-15 acres is a good bit of ground when doing food plots. As far as the pics just get an 8 year old to post them for you. :grin2:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will keep you updated with my progress, 2 acres of forage soybeans closer to the end of May. Will mix in 10% buckwheat and 10% sunflowers with the beans. then buckwheat into the remainder for soil building and weed suppression first week of June depending on moisture

1 - 13 of 13 Posts