The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to sod an area; does anyone know what I need to do to prepare the ground prior to laying down the sod? As it is right now, grass seed will not grow in this area. Its @ 185 square feet.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Prepare and smooth it just like applying seed, if really dry wet it down a little, not to make mud, lay the sod join it together, then water it until it starts to knit.....if grass seed wont grow there, sod might not either , I seeded and sodded lawns after retiring, and remember "green side up ".Don't soak it, water it as needed.....

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
I worked on a golf course years when I was a little younger, and I found the same thing. There is a some reason seed won't grow there, which will/does make it hard for sod to grow properly there as well. Sometimes it works well, but other times it only takes in some spots and looks bad.

Good luck.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think that I am having trouble growing grass there because the area was the site for about half dozen Arborvitae that I had removed. The soil is packed with 20 + years of Arborvitae twigs, roots and dead leaves. So tomorrow I am renting a small cultivator to dig up the whole area, turn the soil over and add in some lime. Then I will let it sit for a week or so and then put on the sod.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
jimsdad said:
I think that I am having trouble growing grass there because the area was the site for about half dozen Arborvitae that I had removed. The soil is packed with 20 + years of Arborvitae twigs, roots and dead leaves. So tomorrow I am renting a small cultivator to dig up the whole area, turn the soil over and add in some lime. Then I will let it sit for a week or so and then put on the sod.
That's what I was going to suggest. I had an area the same way only it was from the previous owner's dog pen being there for years. I tilled the whole area and mixed in some fresh dark top soil and fertilizer to try and bring the dirt back. The first time I put sod down I didn't do that and it died right away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts