The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks lets here it. How many of you have tried to or have made a knife. why'd you do it? Did you get hooked and keep making?

I got started over 10 years ago and have now made well over 100. I got started after I bought a little custom knife at a hunting and fishing show and started to wonder how you make one...next you know I am reading the forums and looking for information and out in the shop making!! So share those stories and pics lets see em and hear it

Ross

·
Registered
388 Posts
:) a couple...........

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm tryin' to figger out this picture stuff. when I do, I'll post some pictures.
Wild Trout... figger out what ya want to make first, then make it :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
If anyone has knife building questions, Ross is pretty good at answering them :)
Having an idea on what you want to make is a starter. Keep it simple and basic. SV40V is not a beginners blade steel . Start out with realistic goals and you can end up with a serviceable attractive workpiece.

·
Registered
330 Posts
So I have never thought about making my own knife. I love fine crafted knives. They are beautiful pieces of art!

I wouldn't mind trying to make one. Who can help me out on where to start? I love a colorful wood handle fix blade knife.

·
Registered
388 Posts
my suggestion would be to purchase a finished blade from one of the supply houses and construct the handles yourself. You can get an idea if this kinda work is for you.
Check out Janzt Supply, K&G , Pops Knife Supply ,Sheffield etc.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thanks birdog, I will check it out. I think I will give it a try during the winter.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I suggest you also check out Ragweed Forge as a source for Scandinavian blades to build from. Great steel at very affordable prices.

I started there and worked my way up to creating my own knives and sheaths starting with flat steel using the stock-removal technique.

Unfortunately it is not a hobby I kept up on once my son was born and my time has been spent elsewhere! I've resolved to get back to it in 2016.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't let Birdog fool ya he helped me when I started hes forgot more then I know at this point. Perhaps after the season is over we can do some tutorials in the forum here on some basic builds. what you say Bruce we could do it together!!

I like starting with a made blade and putting the handle on it, gets your feet wet, then you can move to some basic knife making Heck you can use an old file or lawnmower blade and make it happen. When I started I used to use a 4 inch angle grinder to make most of a knife.

ROss

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Now that would be fantastic ! Guess I'd have to start by making a kiln ? Then learn how to squench without losing the temper ? This could get really interesting .

·
Registered
388 Posts
interesting it is!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts