The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what trees/shrubs are you guys planting

I saw a thread over on the QDM message boards where everyone listed what trees/shrubs they were planting this spring and I thought it would be interesting to see what you folks are planting. So far this is what I've got coming:

From Howard Nursery:
50 Arrowwood
50 American Hazelnuts
25 Nannyberry
125 White pine

From Edward Fort nursery in SC:
12 Allegheny Chinkapins

25 hybrid poplar cuttings from Big Rock Trees. These will be used as a screen for nosey neighbors and will be my first experience planting cuttings.

Also supposed to get a rare Concordia hybrid oak seedling and a dozen dwarf chinkapin oak acorns from a guy in Missouri. The acrons will be planted in Rootmaker containers here at my house to be transferred in the fall to their final destination. Dwarf Chinkapin oaks are a bushy type tree that are supposed to bear acorns in 3-4 years so I'll be very interested to see how they do.

I will be using Rigid seedling tubes from the Ben Meadows company at the following link:

http://www.benmeadows.com/search/tree+protector/5638/

I got the 5 In X 48 in tall ones to better accomidate the shrubs. They came out to be about a buck a piece including shipping. Much better than what the solid tubes cost.

So what are the rest of you planting?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Re: So what trees/shrubs are you guys planting

I ordered 50 Sawtooth Oak, 25 assorted crabapple, and 25 hazelnut from Howard Nursery.

·
Registered
777 Posts

600 White spruce
300- Red pine
50- American Highbush Cranberry
50- American Hazlenut
13- Apple trees
28-Native Plum

·
Registered
695 Posts

Bake545, I am an arborist(fancy word for tree guy)30years experiance. I get to remove alot of peoples mistakes.

Hybrid poplars make the top 5 list of bad mistakes (fast growing, weak wood ,sticky buds drop in spring,surface roots,surface roots and did i mention surface roots.

JMHO don't do it can you tell i dont like em

I have taken hundreds of these down over the years for people who wanted a tree or privacy screen of trees and they turned into a problem.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts

i am taking the year off (almost) for tree planting...2010 is the year of the saw I need more light in some spots and less birch.

I do plan on getting some 4-6' nice apple trees from Conservation District to support their program, and got 40 potted white oaks from last year I will put in the cut areas, and 7 potted scarlet decorative oaks for along the "driveway" of the land ...also a few dozen varied oak tap roots still living in my side garden at the house I am storing there, like to get them in the woods. Rabbits chew the new growth off every year, but the tap roots are still going strong. And a 1 bag of 100 acorns the boys collected last Fall on a walk down the road (reds and whites), that we submitted to the "float test, and left in a bag outside all winter, we are going to try to plant them this spring and see what happens, likely in small pots or that garden.

Guess I am not taking the year off after all...LOL

·
Registered
27,829 Posts

long hunter said:
Bake545, I am an arborist(fancy word for tree guy)30years experiance. I get to remove alot of peoples mistakes.

Hybrid poplars make the top 5 list of bad mistakes (fast growing, weak wood ,sticky buds drop in spring,surface roots,surface roots and did i mention surface roots.

I have taken hundreds of these down over the years for people who wanted a tree or privacy screen of trees and they turned into a problem.
Agree 100% I'd never plant them again. Planted them around camp back about 1980. Mistake.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Dutch said:
long hunter said:

Agree 100% I'd never plant them again. Planted them around camp back about 1980. Mistake.
I appreciate the concern but where I'm going to plant them there isn't much downside. I just want a quick screen which these should provide. This isn't my yard and I don't care about roots or any mess. Unless they are invasive I don't see the downside.

Heck, they may not even grow where I'm going to plant them.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts

They grow most anywhere, trust me. Put them in good, moist rich soil and you'll swear you can see them growing.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts

Hopefully pears and sawtooth oaks.
Hey Dutch,know anybody locally that sells sawtooth oak?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts

Sorry, I don't. I'm hoping one of the guys on here is sending me some sawtooth akerns to plant.

Try Musser Forests or Carino Nurseries for sawtooths.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts

BURGAMBREL OAK
MULBERRY
PEAR
APPLE
PEACH
SAWTOOTH OAK
BUTTERNUT
PERSIMMON