The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the advice I have heard, is the when you are carrying a firearm and pulled over by an officer the fist thing you do is inform the officer that you have a gun pursuant to a license to carry. That advice got a man killed in Minnesota a few days ago. Based on news reports the officer made bad choices concerning a law abiding citizen carrying a firearm. So what do you do.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
At night I turn the inside lights on, open the window and keep both hands on the top of the steering wheel(once). Day time(second time) same thing other than the light. I can say I've only been stopped 2 times in 47 years of driving and never mentioned I was carrying.
Side note - Warning first time and ticket second time. Took my seat belt off to get my wallet out and the (Ohio) cop said I was driving without a seat belt. Said if I didn't like it come back and fight it. I still appreciate what all LO do.

·
Registered
20,255 Posts
Back when I first started driving if I was pulled over I was out of the car and back to the cop before he ever got his emergency brake on, today that would leave you dead on the highway. I believe that and politeness got me out of a lot of tickets.
I understand that philosophy since you are easier to control inside the vehicle.

Now a days I just give the information they request and end the sentence with sir, which is weird since most LEO's are 30 years my junior.
I don't feel anymore obligated to volunteer I have a gun and the paperwork to carry it then I do to also inform the officer I have a computer and what could be considered as burglary tools

Best thing to do is reserve your right to be silent and do exactly as your instructed.

·
Registered
919 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
All the advice I have heard, is the when you are carrying a firearm and pulled over by an officer the fist thing you do is inform the officer that you have a gun pursuant to a license to carry. That advice got a man killed in Minnesota a few days ago. Based on news reports the officer made bad choices concerning a law abiding citizen carrying a firearm. So what do you do.
What got him killed was reaching for something after the officer said let me see your hands

·
Registered
25,220 Posts
Watch what happens when the evidence comes out... and the evidence is not on TV, for those unfamiliar with the judicial system..

I haven't been stopped so nothing to go by there .... my plan is to not say anything until asked and then follow instructions explicitly.;

·
Registered
919 Posts
safely pull over open your window shut off the engine and place your hands on the steering wheel in plain view......do not start looking for your info until instructed try to be courteous

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Looks like most on here just want to comply and do what is right. That keeps us safe. Some people have no respect for law enforcement and do stupid things. I see people calling them pigs, and wanting to put them in blankets, throwing rocks at them. Most times its our actions that determine how police react. The country is putting our officers at risk, just to be politically correct.

·
Registered
12,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep reaching for his wallet to comply with the officers dema
nd to see license and registration. Same as the poor guy in the carolins, told to get his license and he reached in the car for his wallet. That officer was prosecuted.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Lady in car started her video a tad late.if you get pulled over and the leo ask you 4 license and registration and then you tell him you got a pistol and permit and he says don't move that's a different ballgame all together. The ladys video does not show this it shows the after incident only.

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
Follow the instructions from the officer with Yes or No sir answers . All the while keeping my hands where he can see them . No reason to mention my CCP unless asked .
Similar to what others have posted I do all that, and of course turn off the car/truck, take my keys out of the ignition and put them on the dash.

If it's dark out I turn on my interior light as a courtesy to the officer.

I usually get my wallet out before and have my drivers license ready.

Inform the officer that to get my registration/insurance I'll need to rummage in my glove box, and wait for his feedback.

I used to think if I had a firearm in the car that it would good practice to tell the officer. I mentioned (a few years back) this to a good friend of mine who is a sheriff and said DON'T. Don't offer anything to them, it's (in his words) none of their business. If they pulled you over for speeding, let them deal with the speeding ticket and if they ask about anything else, answer them politely. But don't go out of your way to offer them more info unless asked. Don't be weird about it, just recognize that if they are pulling you over for speeding, rolling through a stop sign, broken taillight, whatever, that's what the stop is about.

I've never had a problem with officers and I'm known to have a lead foot. Oddest was when the wife and I rented a car on vacation in Minnesota and I got pulled over in the middle of nowhere. THAT officer had me get out of the car and sit in the back of his squad car while he asked me a ton of questions- where I was coming from, where I had visited, when did I arrive in Minnesota, when was I leaving, where did I rent the car. He left me locked in there while he grilled my wife w/the same questions. That was, IMO, a little overboard, but I remained calm/polite throughout and left the scene shaking the officers hand and wishing him a good day. I got a $150 ticket (for speeding, because I was speeding). I learned in small town Minnesota they are extremely aggressive wrt traffic stops, I guess b/c there's not much else going on up there. By that I mean every small town I drove through I had a police car tail me from the minute I rolled into town until I left the town on the other side. Talking to locals, that's usual. To me it's a bit creepy.

Good side is that night I played pull tabs at a bar- 1st time ever, and won $150. Even Steven!

Bottom line IMO is it's real easy to escalate things even in a simple traffic stop. But that's 99.9% on you and how you act.

BH

·
Registered
26,118 Posts
the best thing to do is Remember that the Officer has no idea, ZERO, of who you are or what you may have done BEFORE he pulled you over.

you know that you are not a threat BUT that Officer doesnt.

i was on my way home from predator hunting around 1:00 am and was pulled over by the State police. the light over my license plate had burned out and i had no idea.

anyway, i turned on the interior light, rolled down the window, turned off the car, and placed both of my hands on top of the steering wheel. the Trooper came over, we spoke, he told me why he stopped me and asked for my drivers license and registration. before i ever moved, i told him about the rifle and shotgun in the back of the vehicle (jeep patriot) and since i was going to have to reach for my wallet that would expose the handgun i was wearing in a hip holster i informed him that i also had a handgun and location of it on my body.

the next thing he said was "Please" leave your hands on the wheel then told me his partner was going to open the passenger door and remove the handgun, i agreed as it was for their safety and MINE.

things went smoothly, politely and very professional, we even had a short talk regarding predator hunting.

i got a warning and some info about a farm that might allow predator hunting.

its all about respect.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
What got the man killed was that he may have been reaching for his wallet/ID and the officer saw the weapon. The officer may have thought the person was reaching for the weapon.

This is why you should always communicate your movements.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Shutup. Be polite and respectful, but shutup! As an LEO I know says, people just love to talk...many times into trouble. Why prolong the interaction? Just answer the questions he asks and volunteer nothing.

·
Registered
26,118 Posts
Steve in PA said:
zimmerstutzen said:
What got the man killed was that he may have been reaching for his wallet/ID and the officer saw the weapon. The officer may have thought the person was reaching for the weapon.

This is why you should always communicate your movements.
from what i read, he supposedly told the officer he had a concealed handgun, where it was and that he had a permit for it.

when he reached for his wallet to get the ID, same side as the gun, thats when everything went downhill.

i wasnt there, i dont know, this is just what i remember reading / hearing on the news.

just have to wait and see what the investigation reveals.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts