The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pheasant season in 2A?

I don't see where they are mentioning this change to allow hens to be shot but its listed in the proposed seasons.

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
ya cant shoot em if they dont stock them.
Their stocking website lists the amount of Hens they put out. If you look at it, you would think there are not many Hens put out where you cannot shoot them. Either their numbers are totally, 100%, bogus, or we were lucky enough to kick up every single Hen allocated for the entire WMU on 1 gameland in 2 days.
I believe there are wayyyyy more hens being put out than what is listed on the stocking webpage.

To that end... it stinks that 2A is staying Rooster only. I think we all know that it costs high dollars to raise these birds, and we also know they do not hold over, or breed well. Basically, they are spending the money raising these hens simply for predator meals. Not a very wise use of resource IMO.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Fieroo, It doesn't stink that 2A is remaining rooster only. Most people would rather shoot roosters than hens. Consider yourself lucky instead. The problem is the releasing of hens in a rooster only area. Based on the stocking schedule, they are not releasing many hens. I agree it should be zero.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are leaving 2A cock bird only because of Pike Run.

There are still wild birds there apparently.

I support 2A being cock bird only.

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
They are leaving 2A cock bird only because of Pike Run.
See the thread I just made on Pike Run. Got a response back from PGC via email. I didn't know it is still viable.

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
Most people would rather shoot roosters than hens. Consider yourself lucky instead.
I'm fairly open-minded Lynn, but I'm not sure why you say that. They are stocking plenty of hens in 2A, and it's obvious these stockers aren't breeding to any degree, and it's also obvious that the stockers aren't hardy enough to last long in a predator environ. That said, it seems like a waste of resource vs. the cost of raising them.

Based on the stocking schedule, they are not releasing many hens.
Lynn, I also read the schedule. TRUST ME. We weren't lucky enough to kick up every hen pheasant scheduled to be released in 2A on ONE gameland, and we kicked up plenty of hens (Taylorstown) in 2 days. It was very apparent to me, that they are releasing more hens than the website dictates in 2A. Why the discrepancy, I haven't got a clue.

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
Did you see my prior post ? There seems to be more hens put out (alot more hens), than what the website lists as being put out. We knocked up a good many hens in 2 days of hunting on one gameland. Taylorstown is farrrr away from Pike Run, which I thought was a failed WPRA and closed last year (apparently not).

I'm all for not killing birds if wild breeders are taking over an area, but other than that, stocking hens and not being able to harvest is a resource waste.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm for not hunting hens in 2A. I know of a non stocked/non protected area that has a "wild" contingent that is able to survive year after year. I don't think it's within 13-15 miles of a gameland(the way the crow flies) but I'm sure some of those birds have made their way into this area and it seems to be working.

·
Super Moderator
14,271 Posts
Fleroo said:
Did you see my prior post ? There seems to be more hens put out (alot more hens), than what the website lists as being put out. We knocked up a good many hens in 2 days of hunting on one gameland. Taylorstown is farrrr away from Pike Run, which I thought was a failed WPRA and closed last year (apparently not).

I'm all for not killing birds if wild breeders are taking over an area, but other than that, stocking hens and not being able to harvest is a resource waste.
If you are putting up more hens than were stocked then in my opinion that is all the more reason not to be shooting hens. It would seem likely the extra birds were either hold over birds from previous years or the extra hens could be the result of reproduction from last year’s hold over or spent breaders stocked last spring.

In any event it would seem to be an indication that the pheasant program is heading in the right direction.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm pretty sure that West Va. has a population of wild pheasants in the pan handle which borders 2A. If you are seeing more hens than is reported as being stocked and Pike Run also has a population of wild birds I'm guessing that would likely explain it. IMO more should be done to promote landowner participation in maintaining upland bird habitat especially in that region. Shooting hens would be a terrible decision to make at this time.

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
I'm pretty sure that West Va. has a population of wild pheasants in the pan handle which borders 2A. If you are seeing more hens than is reported as being stocked and Pike Run also has a population of wild birds I'm guessing that would likely explain it. IMO more should be done to promote landowner participation in maintaining upland bird habitat especially in that region. Shooting hens would be a terrible decision to make at this time.
Pike Run does NOT have a population of wild birds. Pike Run may have been the first are in the state to receive a shipment of wild birds from out west (in the Turkey trade). This due to the habit atwork a fella that is now affiliated with Cal U. established way back when. As of last season, Pike Run WPRA was SUPPOSEDLY shut down, due to lack of results via crow counts, flush counts, etc... It appears now that there is conflicting information regarding that WPRA, as I stated after receiving a PGC delivered email.

That all said, Taylorstown Gamelands (Western Wash. County) is far removed from Pike Run (Eastern Wash. County). The Hen flushes we experienced were simply from recent stockings. These Gamelands had bno "special" plantings like many of the WPRA's get to hold pheasants over. The GL pretty much had some run-of-the-mill sorghum/corn plantings.

Oh well, it's not a HUGE issue as it stands. My guess is that Pike Run's obvious fail, will wash out soon, and within a short amount of time, 2A will be open to Hen's. Like I said, if we were experiencing an uptick of wild broods, then sure, keep hen's off-limits. That's not the case.... I live smack in the middle of the former Pike Run WPRA, I speak with experience.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Wild pheasants and a "population" of wild pheasants are two far different occurrences.
Viable is the important factor related a gamebird population.

·
Registered
313 Posts
There are wild pheasants in 2A..Hens should be protected! There is also a area of West Virgina that has wild pheasants! Hens should be protected in 2A!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
HollowWatcher said:
There are wild pheasants in 2A..Hens should be protected! There is also a area of West Virgina that has wild pheasants! Hens should be protected in 2A!
Absolutely

No reason to open 2A open to hens and the PGC is not going to (for now)

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
There are wild pheasants in 2A..Hens should be protected!
I'm hundreds of yards, as the crow flies, from where they released the very first round of wild birds from S. Dakota in this stat.... Pike Run WPRA. You can't make it sound like they are flourishing here... that would be totally disingenuous. LAST I HEARD, as of last year, they were at an estimated ONE(1) per square mile in Pike Run, and therefore wanted to close the WPRA (actually, even Roe I believe saind it was closing).

Your quote above, could apply to any WMU that has a WPRA, even moreso than an apparent failed WPRA. Are hens off-limits in EVERY WMU that has a WPRA ?

I'm all for wild pheasants again in PA. I hunted them back in the day, and even TRIED like mad to get on a program that would aid me (financially... just a hair) in setting aside land for them. That was a no-go everywhere I turned. That all said, not being able to kill a hen in 2A..... especially on a Gameland, is a waste of resource... and expensive resource at that.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts