The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was hoping to either go pheasant hunting or squirrel hunting today with the flinter smoothbore.....Forget that. Been raining on and off all day.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
the more you carry it in this kind of weather, the easier it gets. after some time, you won't give it a second thought:wink2:

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Blackpowder is right....

Killed a spring longbeard in a spring rain...he came in and was shaking water off like a dog. Another buck in the rain...and probably a few doe.

Just gotta keep the lock dry.

The only time I missed out on a kill due to a flinter failing to fire was on a beautiful spring morning. Longbeard came in and CLICK. Times like 6. I fired it the night before and it went off like a champ. Cleaned it and loaded it and went out the following morning. I knapped the Flint after spooking that bird and kaboom!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
You must have some mast crop in your area, nothing here. I'm calling it quits after Friday. Hunted for 6 hours and never saw a squirrel. No beech, oak or hickory. All empty. Thought I'd be sneaky and get out before the rain. Shoulda taken the bow, had a doe at 12 yards.

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
I normally take these 2 weeks off to hunt muzzy squirrel but numbers are down in the areas I hunt.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You must have some mast crop in your area, nothing here. I'm calling it quits after Friday. Hunted for 6 hours and never saw a squirrel. No beech, oak or hickory. All empty. Thought I'd be sneaky and get out before the rain. Shoulda taken the bow, had a doe at 12 yards.
The place I go is a small SGL but its all mature hardwoods and always has a decent mast crop. The place is loaded with squirrels. I'm planning to head out this coming Saturday morning. Pheasant hunting usually takes precedence, but I'm making it a squirrel morning as I've already gone out 4 times for birds, and will probably go out at least three times during the week, so it will be a nice change of pace to hit the squirrel woods early in the morning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts