The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got up for a short hike Sunday and couldn't help but notice that the apple trees that were heavy with blossoms this spring now have yellow leaves, lookk terrible and are bearing little or no fruit at all :(. Both old exsisting trees and my smaller recent plants.

Too much rain? What happened? How big should northern spy and Mac apples be now?

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
i planted mine (2) in june.bout 4 feet now with apples.surprised me!

·
Registered
707 Posts
My apples all dropped by the end of July. I would say an average amount of apples. I thought it was going to be a great year but 50% of them dropped when they were the size of a dime

·
Registered
231 Posts
Last year our trees were loaded with a heavy crop, while this year there are virtually none. The trees are old and I believe some may bear every-other year. The trees look good,but they have virtually no fruit.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Last year I had zero apples, this year all trees are loaded and some are dropping a few which quickly become appetizers for the local deer herd. I think a late frost wiped mine out last year, this season it's a bumper crop.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
RoosterBooster said:
How big should northern spy and Mac apples be now?
Most apples now are as big as they're going to get. I have some trees that aren't really meant for wildlife and they didn't set fruit too well this year. We had some frost around the time they were blooming so that might have had something to do with it.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
When mine were in blossom, Potter County experienced temps in the low 20's. No apples this year. Bumper crop last year tho. In the end, this year will allow the trees to "recover" from last year. Should be a good year in 2010, I'm guessing, if we don't have frost.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Same thing in Sullivan , Dutch . Frozen blossoms equals no apples I'm afraid . Our trees at camp are barren .

·
Registered
28,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That must what happened here guys....glad I have some fields of green I guess.

Oaks in town got lots of acorns, not seeing many in the woods.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I was told the one morning in Potter, in May, it was around 21 degrees. That ain't so good for apple blossoms.

·
Registered
28,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I remember that morning here...it wasn't too friendly on my landscape at home, My Japenese maples and weeping cherry both got it bad...needless to say they look terrible too now, but since I got into Habitatin', my whole yard looks like crap...
I am the only guy on my road trying to bring out more clover and less grass in his lawn.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
My trees have less than half of the bumper crop from last year.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
we have small fruit and alot of the leaves have fallen off. Alot of the trees look sickly. Not sure what is causing it.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Crop is way down from last year, but there are some trees that have nice apples. Like others have said, we had a late frost when blossoms were open so the smaller crop is expected. My pears blossom earlier and the weather was perfect so I have a bumper crop of them. Wildlife weats the pears as readily as the apples so I'm ok.
Goes to show the benefit of habitat diversity

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
As others have said, my cultivated apples are bad off. My pears and crabapples are great though. This year I have more crabapples than I have ever seen. I will definitely be hunting in my one tree stand looking over my crabapples this year. I am sure I will take at least one doe from underneath it and maybe a buck too if I am lucky!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
1 apple for 5 trees, no pears 2 trees, no cherries or peaches...I also lost 50-60 (CREP) seedlings i planted last fall mostly oaks (pin/swamp white) and ash. They turned brown after the frost and never came back, tubes didnt save them.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Not many apples but with all the rain alot of new growth.

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
Late frost hit us up here in NW Pa. Hardly any apples.

Took the opportunity to prune and daylight many of the old apple trees on our property.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts