The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
12,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what you guys have going on this summer ? Anything interesting such as a big buck you may have located , a new property to hunt or perhaps some new gear you will be using for the first time this season ?
Picked up another dozen arrows yesterday and have been shooting 3 to 4 times a week. Just basically after work for about 15 to 20 minutes every other night .
Also have been scouting some new public properties not far from home that seem pretty promising. A few weeks ago I walked along a creek that was down in a valley for about a half mile . Lots of deer sign but it was thick and nasty . Vegetation anywhere from knee high to up over my head . Didn’t bring water with me that day and felt like I was going to die from dehydration and heat exhaustion. Lol Have several more spots I plan on investing in the next month .
Also got a saddle setup and working on that . Come September I plan to take it up on the mountain and use it for a observation sit in the evening over a giant clear cut . I will probably do this two or three different evenings on different parts of the cut because it’s way too big to glass all of it on just one sit . It’s really becoming good in there over the last few years with a lot of big buck sign and I almost killed a ten from the ground there a couple years ago. High enough for good bedding and cover but not thick enough to where you can’t observe things when elevated. I will make sure I am far enough away and have the wind in my favor when I set up on it .
Anyhow that’s just a few things I am planning and currently have going on .
How about you guys ? Anything to add ?

Reactions: JJ4D

·
Registered
991 Posts
Honestly, I’ve done very little. Any free time I've had, it’s been 100% fishing. The past couple years, I’ve been diversifying my hunting into more small game and ducks and I see that trend continuing. I plan to only archery hunt a handful of times before early muzzy, mainly to knock the rust off.

I was thinking about hanging some cameras in a couple new areas later this month.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Just curious what you guys have going on this summer ? Anything interesting such as a big buck you may have located , a new property to hunt or perhaps some new gear you will be using for the first time this season ?
Picked up another dozen arrows yesterday and have been shooting 3 to 4 times a week. Just basically after work for about 15 to 20 minutes every other night .
Also have been scouting some new public properties not far from home that seem pretty promising. A few weeks ago I walked along a creek that was down in a valley for about a half mile . Lots of deer sign but it was thick and nasty . Vegetation anywhere from knee high to up over my head . Didn’t bring water with me that day and felt like I was going to die from dehydration and heat exhaustion. Lol Have several more spots I plan on investing in the next month .
Also got a saddle setup and working on that . Come September I plan to take it up on the mountain and use it for a observation sit in the evening over a giant clear cut . I will probably do this two or three different evenings on different parts of the cut because it’s way too big to glass all of it on just one sit . It’s really becoming good in there over the last few years with a lot of big buck sign and I almost killed a ten from the ground there a couple years ago. High enough for good bedding and cover but not thick enough to where you can’t observe things when elevated. I will make sure I am far enough away and have the wind in my favor when I set up on it .
Anyhow that’s just a few things I am planning and currently have going on .
How about you guys ? Anything to add ?
Somer scouting is not for the feint of heart it's
Better to wait till September when you can see sign that can help, work on your projects at home that needs to be taken care of look and memorize the terrain on the online map sites start off at your known areas you never know what has moved in there when I tryed summer scouting it was a effort in futility unless your checking fields out.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
I'm scheduled 6-10's at work right now, so I've been busier than a one-legged man in a butt kicking contest. I'm leaving for Montana in 7 weeks so been shooting and finalizing all my gear preparation. It's amazing how fast the summer goes. Been hiking, running and lifting weights and driving my neighbors crazy with elk bugling. A guy from Montana is contracting at work right now and was kind enough to share some pins with me for some great elk locations to try, so I'm super excited to backpack into some of these area's.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I did some light scouting on some public near a recent clear cut. I found a small grove of chinese chestnuts I didn't plan on finding and a ton of sign in the general area. I'll get more serious come August.

·
Registered
12,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Somer scouting is not for the feint of heart it's
Better to wait till September when you can see sign that can help, work on your projects at home that needs to be taken care of look and memorize the terrain on the online map sites start off at your known areas you never know what has moved in there when I tryed summer scouting it was a effort in futility unless your checking fields out.
I am always investigating new properties when I have a chance and due to the kids and work time is limited. Also looking at a map gives me a idea but for me it’s just not the same as boots on the ground. The last scouting mission I was on for example I found a few tree stands that were in good condition that were still up so if I go back there I know what areas to avoid . Not just around their particular tree stands but away from the areas they are most likely accessing them. Also got to study tracks along the bank of the creek and trails that I feel a buck would most likely use or where a buck would probably like to bed . Also got to analyze spots and see what the best tree would be to hunt out of .
A lot of times I never even go back to some of these places but I always keep a mental note of them just in case the mood strikes me to hunt them someday.
I also already have a lot of spots I will be hunting due to prior experience and scouting over the winter and I stay out of them until hunting season. One thing I will do however is do a quick drive by in September and walk the perimeter to see what kind of food is available and also look for any sign that another hunter may plan on hunting the area.

Reactions: Tuna_

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Been shooting a few times a week. Getting a ton of pictures on my cameras, at least 5 different bucks that are going to be no doubt ones that I will shoot and 4 or 5 more that will be hard to pass. We have been getting hit by EHD every five years and this is year five so keeping my fingers crossed that it isn't a problem this year.

·
Registered
21,238 Posts
I do a most of my scouting and stand prep in March. By early August I will get a few cameras out to see whats running around. I usually don't mess around in my areas till I have a bow in hand and am ready to hunt.

I did lose one of my good spots about a month ago. 150 acres that was sold, but the new owner is someone that I know through an acquaintance so I need to touch base with him to see if I have any chance to keep hunting the property. If not, I hope he will let me get in there and remove all of my stands.

We have been getting hit by EHD every five years and this is year five so keeping my fingers crossed that it isn't a problem this year.
Same here. Some of my areas get pounded about every 5 years and this is the year we are due to get our clocks cleaned. Hoping it doesn't happen but it is setting up that way with things pretty dry around here.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Nonexistent right now. I'll start shooting about once a week sometime this month and ramp that up to a couple times a week in Sept. Need to assess my arrow situation and probably need to build a few hunting arrows. No significant gear changes this year. I acquired the stuff to SRT climb, but I think I'll keep using my sticks most of the time. Intended to set up a bunch of SRT presets last winter/spring but only got a couple out. I am in the worst shape of my life and need to get on my horse about losing 10 or 15 lbs, would really help to get that knocked out before the season.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Most of my stands are already set. I saved a few to hang around labor day based on MRI and farm crop plantings.

I started cutting some food plots recently and set out a few cameras at camp. I will set my local cameras in the next couple of weeks to see what's around.

I also enjoy the sport of archery so I shoot my bow a couple of times a week and attend a few 3D shoots. I also cleared a spot so I can shoot 70 to 100 yards trying to improve my accuracy.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
New stands are set, locations are marked for times I saddle hunt, just started running a few cameras. Spending a little time driving around areas. I am heading to Delaware to hunt this year also, we will be doing our initial scouting there in a few weeks. I need to spend more time getting my saddle set up dialed in. My biggest issue is my bow just blew up on me last weekend. I'm really at odds with what to do. This is the 2nd string that exploded in the last 18 months, 2 different sets of custom strings. It was really dialed in and I was very confident in it, now don't know what to do. I hate starting over this late.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'm scheduled 6-10's at work right now, so I've been busier than a one-legged man in a butt kicking contest. I'm leaving for Montana in 7 weeks so been shooting and finalizing all my gear preparation. It's amazing how fast the summer goes. Been hiking, running and lifting weights and driving my neighbors crazy with elk bugling. A guy from Montana is contracting at work right now and was kind enough to share some pins with me for some great elk locations to try, so I'm super excited to backpack into some of these area's.
Them elk aren't safe with you after them

·
Registered
748 Posts
New stands are set, locations are marked for times I saddle hunt, just started running a few cameras. Spending a little time driving around areas. I am heading to Delaware to hunt this year also, we will be doing our initial scouting there in a few weeks. I need to spend more time getting my saddle set up dialed in. My biggest issue is my bow just blew up on me last weekend. I'm really at odds with what to do. This is the 2nd string that exploded in the last 18 months, 2 different sets of custom strings. It was really dialed in and I was very confident in it, now don't know what to do. I hate starting over this late.
Wow,are you shooting light weight arrows, or maybe string maker didn't put enough strands in ,I had one break right at d loop,where did yours break ,you have plenty of time to get back on track. Hope you rock it this season

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I bought a compound over this past winter to use this fall instead of my usual crossbow. I have it sighted in and have been trying to shoot once or twice a week. I haven't had much free time here as of late, but I'll try and get out around the begining or mid Aug and put some cameras our and check on some stands.

·
Registered
748 Posts
It broke right on the D Loop. Both times it was right in the same spot. I'm shooting a 430 grain arrow [email protected] 70 lbs. I've used Winner's Choice and America's Best Strings on this bow and they both exploded on me. I'm at a loss as to why. I'm really considering just moving onto another bow.
I don't think it's the bow unless it's a very short axel and a long draw ,if you have string nocks in between the d loop they could of been put on with excessive pressure and abraded the string,if so you can tie one in .

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I don't think it's the bow unless it's a very short axel and a long draw ,if you have string nocks in between the d loop they could of been put on with excessive pressure and abraded the string,if so you can tie one in .
I tie them in. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but it's making me uneasy at this point.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I tie them in. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but it's making me uneasy at this point.
I've only had two break on me right at the string nock and that was when I shot fingers,today's strings are so strong but a little brittle,I've been shooting bows since I was 8 years old, get another string and start over that's the easiest route nothing is ever easy. Good Hunting

1 - 20 of 148 Posts