The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I ended up with the T/C WMC for a flinter for my daughter. THEN I come to find it's a 20 twist barrel...………

Likely gonna bench it tomorrow to find out. But, do you think (or have firsthand experience) with such a fast twist stabilizing a Hornady PA Conical ?? I scooped up a couple boxes of 350 grain T/C Maxi Hunters. But since it's a small rifle and it's a 14 year old gal that'll be hunting with it, I am hoping to NOT have to use the heavy bullets for recoil purposes...…..

What think ye ??

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Never had much luck with the 350 maxi hunters but the 370 maxi ball shot great.

A lighter(less recoiling) option would be a .452 XTP Hornady 300 grain with sabot. I know they stabilize well in a 1-28 bbl. IMO the Hornady PA Conicals would not stabilize too well as they are designed for a much slower twist bbl. The 348 grain Power Belt AeroTips also shoot well out of fast twisters. The 1-20 is a really fast twistin bbl in a ML so you most likely will need to go a little longer in bullets. I know some guys shoot the saboted Hornady .452's in a 250 grain so that one to also consider although I think the 300's in the .452 would shoot better. Best of luck!!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I had a Green Mountain Barrel on a T/C Renegade with a 1:28 twist that shot nearly MOA using the 245Gr Powerbelts over 100Grs Goex 2F, but 85Grs shoot nearly as well. Took deer out to 108 yds (used shooting sticks and a range finder) With that combo. Recoil was not heavy at all.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appreciate the input, fellers !!

I was REALLY hoping to be able to stay away from copper and plastic...……………. Guess some time spent with a target will tell.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I know you said you wanted to stay a way from plastic, but powerbelt makes a 245 grain bullet that sounds like it'd be a good fit for that rifle. And not to sound sexist, as I don't know your daughter, but they are incredibly easy to load compared to standard sabboted bullets. That being said I hope the PA conicals shoot well for you, they're a great projectile

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Appreciate the input, fellers !!

I was REALLY hoping to be able to stay away from copper and plastic...……………. Guess some time spent with a target will tell.
Saw on your earlier post: "So, I said to her a week ago...….. "think you'd wanna try a flintlock ?" "

Unless your Daughter is an experienced flintlock shooter...mebbie good to wait until next year as this season is soon here providing little time for her for proper prep??

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Saw on your earlier post: "So, I said to her a week ago...….. "think you'd wanna try a flintlock ?" "

Unless your Daughter is an experienced flintlock shooter...mebbie good to wait until next year as this season is soon here providing little time for her for proper prep??

So long as I can find an acceptable projectile and she takes to the gun well, we'll be out there.

She is new to the flintlock. But not new to hunting and does EXTREMELY well...….even under pressure. I put a pair of blinds out last weekend that will allow me to be RIGHT there in her ear and on her shoulder.

If there's ANY doubt in my mind that she can make an ethical shot...………..she'll sit it out or sit with me and watch. That's why she's not bowhunting til next season. Wasn't ready yet this year.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
P.S. I do appreciate your thoughts and concern and your point/advice IS well taken.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Faster twist barrels will be better at stabilizing heavier (longer) projectiles. You shouldn't have an issue with the heavy conicals.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
P.S. I do appreciate your thoughts and concern and your point/advice IS well taken.
I wasn't be critical just thinking back how long my start-up time was to get reasonably proficient to hunt with a flintlock. It's great you're introducing your Daughter to the sport!!:smile2:

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wasn't be critical just thinking back how long my start-up time was to get reasonably proficient to hunt with a flintlock.
I totally understand you weren't being critical. Just concerned. Yep.

I was totally serious when I said I appreciated your concern and took your point well.

I can't wait to see the girl run a flintlock !!! She has been a natural with everything hunting she's ever tried. I think we'll be O.K. But I'll be watching for signs of anything otherwise.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
any interest is rb's? if it were me I would give them a try. if you are looking at shooting at 50 yards or so, I would give them a try, you never know.

I'd never rule them out. But in my mind, a 20 twist SHOULD make a PRB fly like a Nolan Ryan curveball. But, I've seen OTHER things that common reason said shouldn't work, WORK.

I have the blinds set up so that 50 yards would be a LONG shot. More likely 10-40 yards. Heck...……...just shoot the ramrod at 10 yards !!!! :grin2:

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
1:20 is going to demand a loooong bullet.
As previously mentioned, I'd start with a .452 300gr XTP and a Harvester sabot.
If you want to start a little longer, the .430 300gr XTP is another great bullet. (You'll need the Green sabots for these)

If you go this route, be sure to get the XTP versions of either caliber, DO NOT get the XTP MAG variation...
These really don't expand well at ML velocities. The regular XTP perform beautifully.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts