The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been putting a lot of time in the stand lately and with the rut just kicking in and only 2 days left in the season I was on stand bright and early. Saw a doe early, then at 7:30 a small buck came out of the cedars. I stopped him with a bleat from "the can" and a second brought him in on a string. The 4 pt we've been seeing is actually a 5...easy to tell at 10 yards. Makes him legal, but I had my sights on something bigger. I think that's about the 5th legal buck I've passed in PA and a few more in MD. I'be got a box of little racks in the basement collecting dust . My next buck will be big or not at all.

I had to work at 10am so I planned on getting down about 9:30. At 9:15 I turn around to see 3 deer in the field behind me. They were working downwind of me and when they got to the trail I walked in on they stopped. They knew something was up and turned back from where they came. Then they turned left into the ditch I was in, crossing about 50 yards from me.

Slowly they worked their way thru the ditch and up the other side. When they got to the edge of the cedars they stopped. Something was up. I looked around and saw legs moving thru the cedars...then horns. HOLY CRAP it's a BIG ONE!!! He must have been following the doe's progress, parallelling their route from in the woods. He was moving quickly when he bumped the does but as he passed thru an opening I saw the g2's were at least 10" long and g3's not much shorter. Maybe 16-18" wide...out to his eears.

He was at least an 8 but I think a 10, and definitely a trophy buck for my area of PA. But once he got on the does...I didn't stand a chance. They took him up over the hill, out of sight. I stayed an extra half hour just in case he would come back, but no such luck.

Then I spent a 6 hour day in the hectic gun shop. What a mess. Thank you Obummer...business is fantastic.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I feel your pain, I had one hung up at 65 yards this morning because the fog and an errant breeze took my scent to him, a nice 7 point at 9:30 coming to check the old beaver dam for love. I saw #2 biggest I have pics of at 5 PM, cross the same dam also looking for love, he never gave me a look when I grunted at him. I have 3 years of photos of this buck first time I ever laid eyes on him and he wouldn't even say hi???

I have a similar box of dusty antlers and feel the same way, if I ain't gonna be really proud of it, I don't need to shoot it. I've only passed 3 but two of the shots were buck suicide, even I couldn't have missed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts