The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a game plan for this mornings hunt before the weather moved in. I knew that the deer would be heading to some dense pines that they use when nasty weather moves in. I got myself down in there at 6:15 and waited. Around 8 I heard some coming from my left and below me. I caught movement and I saw him. The big 8! He was along the creek about 100 yards but no way I'm shooting that far with the flintlock. I waited til he got out of sight and figured I'd swing out around and above him and get myself ahead of him farther down in the pines. I backed out and got well out ahead of where I expected him to continue on through. About 9:25 I heard leaves rustling ahead of me and my heart started pounding. 2 doe. No buck. They were heading straight at me. Then a couple minutes later I saw him, lagging behind these doe. The doe got to about 60 yards and bedded down. I thought for sure he was gonna come right to the doe and bed down. He made a sharp left, crossed the creek and went up in the laurel. What a rush. I backed out without spooking the doe and got out of there. I know he's gonna hold tight in that laurel all day and night. He's not gonna move with this weather and high winds coming in tonight. I'll be down in there first thing tommorow with great stalking conditions in my favor.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. What could go wrong? Let us know how it goes. Good luck GHH, good hunting!

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
WOW....Hope you can sleep tonight lol

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW....Hope you can sleep tonight lol
I was gonna go out with the rest of the crew tonight and hit a few local watering holes but not now. The boys will be out and about and celebrating. I'll drop them off and they can call the house and I'll go pick them up when they're ready to call it a night. They won't be hunting tommorow, thats a guarantee!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have a left handed Dixie Tenn Mountain rifle, is that what you have in the stand, Blackpowder? Had it close to 40 years

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
I have a left handed Dixie Tenn Mountain rifle, is that what you have in the stand, Blackpowder? Had it close to 40 years

no, its a Christian Springs/Edward Marshall rifle I built about 3 years ago. 37" Colerain .62 cal. barrel. Dixie sold a lot of those 30-40 years ago, they were a very popular rifle in the day and shot well.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts