The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
300 Posts
I talked to a WCO during hare season. He told me they are starting a big study on them. He said they plan on trapping them and putting gps collars on them much like the bears and turkeys. I told him not to waste money on that unless they plan on improving habitat.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you already have hares, you already have hare habitat.

Tracking them around and checking mortality (especially with coyotes around) makes sense.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Dobsonknob said:

Tracking them around and checking mortality (especially with coyotes around) makes sense.
They need continuous cover in order to breed and hide from predators. If you cut the mature forest around the hare swamps in my area within 10 years it would make a real difference.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Dobsonknob said:
True but not true. That stuff doesn't last forever, at least on my side of the state. After 8 or 10 years when the current clear cuts are too old, where are they going to go? To the next big timbering operation down the road.....wait a minute

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Mease535 said:
Dobsonknob said:

They need continuous cover in order to breed and hide from predators. If you cut the mature forest around the hare swamps in my area within 10 years it would make a real difference.
Must have been typing at the same time Buddy...But we basically said the same thing. You ain't so bad after all. You still got hare for me to run? Glendale is only a month away.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Smoke'n Mack said:
Dobsonknob said:
True but not true. That stuff doesn't last forever, at least on my side of the state. After 8 or 10 years when the current clear cuts are too old, where are they going to go? To the next big timbering operation down the road.....wait a minute
I understand that but if you have hare right now, there is no reason to worry about habitat.

The places where hare were stocked but have not been seen since need habitat work.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts