The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I was thinking about it....then yesterday my best hare hound went into heat. Might take the pups down. If nothing else, maybe I can break them off porcupines.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I thought we were going to make it the entire way to hare season without anyone mentioning it. Like the elephant in the room.

I'm only going if there is 2 foot of powder so my hounds can pound on them in the tough conditions. Anything less is just too easy!

Ahhhh who am I kidding, I'll be out 5 of the 6 days more than likely.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i run cottontails alot with my dog and he does real well. can i expect the same of him with hares or is it a different ball game. i have hunted them without dogs and we did well but this will be a first for my dog

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
In my experience, which is quite limited, your dog can probably run a hare without an issue. The real tough part about our hare season is normally the conditions you hunt them in. Sometimes fresh powder, sometimes ice, sub freezing temps, a down pour, etc. If you have a dog that for the most part can get it done in some of the worst weather possible, you'll be fine.

The next hardest part is actually finding them, but I'm sure you already knew that if you hunted them before.

Finding them and running them are two totally different battles. Good luck.

I see you live in Fenelton. I'm around the area as well, what's your dog out of? Local stuff?

·
Registered
357 Posts
We hunted all day in Northeast Pa today…Saw a couple old tracks but couldn't get a run. I worked my butt off pushing through rhododendron in swamps with no success. All in all, it was still a good day!

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Hunted the Poconos today. Had two good runs. Starting them was tough but once they laid tracks the hound was having a blast. Waugh!

·
Banned
437 Posts
The one guy is wanted for something and I am sure the hunting- pa police would turn him in,they know everything those innernet police lmao.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts