The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have any luck hunting snoeshoes without a dog? If so, what are some good techniques?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I have run across there tracks a couple times hunting late season grouse. If there is no snow they should stick out against the background since they should be white when the season opens. If there is snow on the ground I don't think you will find them. The ones I know of use very thick cover. Good luck.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Thats tough. Find tracks and droppings and the tunnels and runways they use, put a shooter well ahead of you, and walk through cover and hopefully drive them out to ur posted shooter. Good luck.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Im very intrested in snowshoes, i was thinking ANF up past cooks forest? iv never seen one before, they are bigger than a rabbit? I would love to tan that hide. any help would be apriciated

·
Registered
18,432 Posts
Hare are larger than a normal cottontail and have much larger feet. Their tracks are easily identifiable in snow. They typically run larger circles when pursued by hounds as well.
They stick out like "light bulbs" when there is no snow cover on the ground and tend to sit alittle tighter.
As far as tanning the hide that might be difficult. The hide is very thin and tears easily.
Here's one I had freeze-dried about ten years back.

And one I had a skin mount done along with a grey.

I'm really going to miss hunting them this year. At least I can still run them with the hounds at least. That's the best part after all.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Wow those are big its almost as big as that fox! or so it looks. do you think the area i mentioned would be worth a shot? im sure i can skin one i can do a nice case skined cotton tail, and yea i agree there skin is like paper im just careful id probly spend 20 mins or so doing it right where i got it... thanks

·
Banned
300 Posts
Yes the ANF is a good area. A bunch of us from the east are heading over there for the hare season. We got some good info on some prime spots.

·
Registered
64 Posts
What a stupid decision for the PGC to close it down in the eastern counties.... Now the hunting pressure will double in the ANF and the hares will be hurting there too.... How idiotic.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
GHOSTHUNTER said:
What a stupid decision for the PGC to close it down in the eastern counties.... Now the hunting pressure will double in the ANF and the hares will be hurting there too.... How idiotic.
No, "idiotic" would be using every post you make to complain about the PGC, even if it has nothing to do with the original post itself. It's been my experience that those who have problems with the PGC usually cause the problems themselves. Grow up.

·
Banned
300 Posts
quackmaster4 said:
GHOSTHUNTER said:
No, "idiotic" would be using every post you make to complain about the PGC, even if it has nothing to do with the original post itself. It's been my experience that those who have problems with the PGC usually cause the problems themselves. Grow up.
It is idiotic....since there was ZERO studies done on the hare population and the eastern counties have much higher populations then the west. However...we plan on putting a big dent in the population over there!!

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Come on over Hank, I'd love to run with you.

Rich, just drive around till you see my truck and turn loose.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Yes you are so right... What were they thinking.... The Hares on the ANF is going to get hunted really hard this year.. What a Stupid decision there..

·
Registered
862 Posts
I know the ANF well and i can only think of about 6-7 spots on the ANF that even has hares. There could be a couple spots on the western half that i dont know about. But there are still like say 10 spots with Hares on the ANF.
So good luck to everyone finding a spot. without someone already there hunting.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts