The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys on my winter walk this Sunday I came across some snowshoe hare tracks on my property which thirlls me to death that this particular peice of dirt proves to be habitat for yet another critter. Anyway, after following the tracks for a little while, it looks to me like he is staying in the one area and especially around a big aspen deadfall.

To try to salvage some enjoyment out of this way too long winter i decided I want to set up a trail cam this weekend and try to get pics of him. So my question is..

Should I just set the cam up in the deadfall near the tracks hoping to get him there or is there a food I can set out (under the safety of cover of course) to get him to be where i want him to be, but in good light for a pic.

I once tried the the trail cam approach on a grouse I kept flushing off the same drumming log one spring. Set the cam in his thicket there but never got a pic of him although it triggered a few times. Going to try that again this spring too....

Just a cabin fever reducer...
, lets see if we can get a pic of the snowshoe via some suggestions here.

He seems to be frequenting two deadfalls in particular in a creek bottom of hemlock and whitepine. ANd the first one that says carrots is banned..LOL (JK they may be what works)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I am sure that you have more than one camera, I'd try one where you see him hanging out (the deadfall).

With all the snow on the ground you should be able to pinpoint a runway or two that he is consistently using for easy travel. I'd try one on there as well.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he seems to have a run going right up in tight along the trunk of the aspen, that was my first thought.

My other cams are just getting pics of the same group of deer now, so yes i could maybe set up 3 at least for a week or so.

Thanks!

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GREAT idea, I am pretty sure I saw it at Tractor Supply when I was getting bedding for my wife's class varmints.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got those too, in fact they be fresh as Sunday!! Maybe a small brush pile of apple/crabapple branches with afalfa underneath? Put the camera at ground level?

·
Registered
24,815 Posts
You'll do just fine with those cuttings... I wouldn't buy alfalfa just for that...

If you have some fine but wouldn't go crazy trying to get a bale...

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They have little snack size bales for guiena pigs and such that is what i was thinking.

I suspect this to be a jackalope (had to say it) , I will spare no expense to find out.

Thanks all for the good info. Hopefully the snow last long enough to set up on that trail so i don;t have to go off memory.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Just find his run in the snow, it will look like a gutter at a bowling alley. You'll have your pic within 2 days tops.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok guys, we will get this set up this weekend and see if we can "capture" him.

With the warm spell coming I kind of wish i would of found this spot last week or the week before as that aspen deadfall could be flooded with run off by Saturday.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got 4 cams but not all are out right now. There are two I will not use for this though. They are looking over a clover fields and if the snow melts off this weekend every critter on the hill will be there. He may show up there, where he is less than 100 yards from it.

I do have a couple I can step on this guy and then the drummers in about a month or so... Donations of more welcome...

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
John-PA said:
Just find his run in the snow, it will look like a gutter at a bowling alley. You'll have your pic within 2 days tops.
This is what went up along the aspen trunk...will do.

Do they still use these trails if the snowpack melts off a bit?

In related news, I was watching Surivivorman last night and he talked about snaring, and said snowshoes are alot easier than other animals becasue their travel is so predictable and routine in the snow. Immediately thought about the advice here and how that matches up...guess I will put out my "digital snares" and see how we do, see if we are eating bark or bunny by the fire tonight....
Wish I could get up there today.

Thanks all this should be cool. i will put one camera near his run with some of the apple/Crab tree branch clippings to try for a close up then the other cam will be looking at the area as a whole, to expand our odds of catching him.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Cool...this would be a cooler trail can pic than a 10 point....I am a bit biased though.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad others think this is cool, I have done this with trail cams before but with not much in the way of results to share...I think I will get new SD cards and batteries and maybe put the camera on video mode.

Let's face it, now that I got a post -season winter deer herd count, pics of antlerless deer are pretty boring. I'll go after drummers til the fawns show up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts