The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed in the Hunting Digest that there is a rather long season for hunting hares with falcons. Does anyone know if or how many hares are taken with falcons during a season? I don't imagine it's very many, but I couldn't find any statistics from the research I've done.

·
Super Moderator
2,558 Posts
I’m also curious to know how many hare are taken with falcons each year.

Right now though, if the over/under line was set at 1, I’d put my money on under.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I do not know of anybody that does it. But if you have some good dogs you should be able to kill a few. If your dogs circle them, your raptor should have quite a few chances at getting the hare.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I think i just read somewhere that there are about 200 active licensees in PA.

I don't think they kill many hare.

Since raptors catch what they can, it only makes sense for all game to be allowed...

·
Super Moderator
2,558 Posts
I can envision falconers being moderately successful hunting pheasants with pointing dogs and even hunting rabbits with beagles. It's just that the areas where I've found snow shoe (and grouse for that matter) wouldn't lend themselves to releasing a hawk/falcon and having it find and take down a prey species in that habitat.

I realize wild raptors do it all the time, but they aren't blindfolded and perched on a handler's gloved hand like a falconer's bird is for all but a few minutes of the hunt.

I'd love to hear from one of the 200 licensees though to find out if they ever even try for Snowshoe (or grouse).

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yeah good luck with that. Soon you will see a Jackalope permit for sale ... anything to make a $

having been hunting with hounds for over 25 years ...open sky above for more than a sec or two is a rarity

1 - 6 of 6 Posts