The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody know how many snows were at Middlecreek this morning?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
From the website:

03/07/13

Snow geese: less than 5,000

It was pretty quiet here this morning, it seems that some birds bailed out ahead of the recent storm system. Like last year, it may be an early exodus.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Only 5,000 left!
There's no doubt the Snows are not using MC as a staging area this year.
The question to all the snow goose guru's would be, What the heck is going on?

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
SuperFluke said:
Should be some leases up for grabs real cheap next year...
Might be trailer loads of decoys real cheap too.

·
20,167 Posts
Lots of time yet. Its the 7th of March haha. I'm seeing the same but all reports are birds still south. Hoping that's the case at least.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Trout 2003 said:
Lots of time yet. Its the 7th of March haha. I'm seeing the same but all reports are birds still south. Hoping that's the case at least.
That's true... They seem to be spread from Canada to NC right now, but at this point, what is going to hold them in PA? Based on the forecast, I'm guessing it'll be slim pickings after this weekend. The calendar won't be enough to hold them back. They'll blow right through here on their way to the Finger Lakes/St. Lawrence area.

Not gonna lie... I'm about ready to start fishing anyways, haha.

·
Registered
19 Posts
every year can be different.weather,biological clocks,numbers.it is what it is.thinking about numbers i done think there is a million snow geese in the Atlantic flyer,maybe 500,000

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Yep, time to pack it in
I heard of two double digit shoots in Lehigh Valley yesterday...maybe thats the new migration route? Maybe not... The storm mixed it up a lil for sure; and its been slow migration with very few east/south wind days I can think of yet. The snow depth alone in the st lawernece will hold them up, somewhere... hoping they get stalled over my rig at some point.

·
20,167 Posts
Don in don't know of any snow migration markers. I just read a lot on all sorts of sites. I know that as of Monday they were not only killing good numbers of snow in NC but getting more pre-storm from what I heard. Most they've had there in years apparentl

·
Registered
441 Posts
I think they have just expandex their wintering and staging areas. I see snows now in places i have never seen them before. Some place that over the last five yeafs have been temporary or sporadic roosting ponds have had snows all winter. They are just not as concentrated this year and perhaps will remain that way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts