The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided with all the snow to put the smoke pole up for the day and take a ride to camp on the snowmobile with the wife.

·
Registered
52,306 Posts
I've had 2 snowmobiles, used to love snow and riding , when I was a lot younger....Used to go to Old Forge NY, been to Jackson Hole, WY and the Pocono's and everywhere around here.........

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Nice.....that would be an awesome way to go to camp. Thanks for sharing...

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I'm firing-up my snowmobiles today. I have new trails cut through my woodlot by a guy who took out a bunch of dead down and standing trees for firewood sales. Part of the deal was he had to create trails (and shooting lanes) while working with his excavator.

Firecat1 - What I'm wondering is where did you get the sled you pull behind the snowmobile? Is it one you can purchase, or is it home made?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Nice way to include your significant other and looks like great fun. Enjoyed the pics...thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Looks like you guys had a fun trip!
A few of us left sizerville park yesterday and put 100 miles on between cameron and potter co.
Always thought that it would be interesting on trying to get everything to camp that way.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Karl Power that one is home made. My pap made it back in the 70's and it's still going strong. I'm in the process of making another one out an old craftsman lawn mower trailer. I'm going to to take the wheels off and replace them with skis.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I was thinking that an old car or truck hood might make a great sled-type thing to drag firewood out of the woods -- but it also might slide to the side on hillsides. I realized this yesterday when my kids and son-in-laws were dragging each other around on tubes behind the snowmobiles. Actually, it got a a little scarey at times when they went through the fields on a slope and the tube started passing the snowmobile -- not to mention the way it was flying toward a few trees and poles and the riders had to bail off!

I think I had better think of a way to have a pull-behind sled like yours that has skis on it!

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I dont know if it is still made , but arctic cat use to sell a tow behind sled called the cat freighter , looked similar to a dog sled , towed very nice and would haul a lot of gear or passengers if needed . i had one in the early 70s and used it a lot to access a camp i had back then on state forest land.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Thanks for the link , those pics bring back a lot of great memories . almost forgot about the cat cutter they were great to haul the kids on trail rides , but the freighter was the workhorse to haul everything into camp for a extended stay.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Boy that does bring back memories. Guy next door to us growing up had one of those red and white sleds, first sled ever seen around our parts. If you got stuck you were stuck, it had a steel track.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts