The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else's beagle struggling in this snow? We went out this morning my beagle couldn't pick up any fresh trails i saw the rabbits running. Never had a problem running in powder snow before.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
no problem here today other than seeing the rabbit. we have about 14" on the ground right now. hunted a spot that is about 1 1/2 ac. that was an old nursery. 3 years ago the cut everything down and just left it there. its about 3-4 feet deep in tops and brush. great habitat! after 2 hours of standing on top of a dirt pile over looking it, i called the dog off and left. none stop runnning, they just never would come out from under the tops a snow. the dog had fun!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
No problem here except for those cowardly wabbits no wanting to stay above ground in about 8 - 10" of old powder.
Dogs ran everything that the bunnies gave them.
Most were real short though
We managed a few and had a lot of fun today.

John L

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I had 20 50-100 yard dashes. But it was beautiful and I walked farther than I have all season and most of it without a crutch!!!! life is good.

·
Banned
313 Posts
Mine ran great today where I was today. Only problem was about 90% of the chases were in a massive Golden Rod Briar field and you couldnt see crap. Was prob 6 to 10 in certain areas but mostly around 6 inches. We did have three that holed pretty quick but that was it.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Running was good today here, I would guess 6-8" of snow, very little fresh fluff.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I was lucky to get them to go farther than 5 feet. Rabbits were sitting near the stone walls and and it was short runs to ground. Dogs jumped about 10 or 12 in 3 1/2 hours. Could have shot 2 (one at the end of the only circle of the day, but it was only 4 or 5 foot in front of me and I didn't want to splatter it) the other came out from where that one went in but was too close to the dogs. Had a second jump out from the same spot and run right next to the dog trying to pick up the first one while the others were still under the brush pile(can you say sight chase?) All in all a fun day just nothing for the table.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Horrible running in my areas...New Years Day had 3 rabbits up which averaged about 100 yards before going into holes. Today I walked for 1.5 hours and never got a bark. I saw enough sign but all the rabbits tracks led right to a hole. I assume they are coming out at night to eat and are sitting tight during the day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts