The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking about getting some snow shoes so when there's 2+ feet of snow, such as now, it won't keep me indoors from going out and scouting around the mountains. My questions are this.. 1. Brands? what brands are reliable. 2. size? I've seen sizes from 20" - 30". what's good for just walking around the woods? 3. Traditional, or modern style of snowshoes? Traditional would be that icing on the cake deal, esp while hunting/trapping in them, but modern have a bit more comforts and modern technology incorporated into them. Suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I have the Frontier 25
TUBBS
use them very often, from my experience modern is the way to go.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WHOA!!!
PHEW... I'm young, and in excellent shape, but DANG almost had a heart attack when I saw the price! Thanks for the advice, but quite a bit more than what I wanted to pay!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I'm looking too, I want to stay under 150$ if possible. I'm wondering if it's easy to climb steep, and rocky terrain? You'd think the rocks from where they are exposed will tear right through them after a few outtings.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
I've been using Tubbs for 20+ years(model unknown). The long aluminum cleats on the bottom serve you pretty well in hilly terrain. Snowshoes rarely keep you on top of the snow, they just prevent you from going as deep as you would without them. Without cleats when sidehilling or going downhill the shoe will slide sideways or forward under the snow (just like a shovel) filling the top of the shoe. This gets tiring real fast if the snow is wet.

For woods manuevering you don't want long, also, I don't like real wide as it is very awkward for any length of time, real long or wide you constantly step on top of the other one trying to bring your legs together when turning. Something that provides a stance as close to natural will feel the best.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Killin'time said:
WHOA!!!
PHEW... I'm young, and in excellent shape, but DANG almost had a heart attack when I saw the price! Thanks for the advice, but quite a bit more than what I wanted to pay!
yah, the price is uncomfortable at first, but they last a long time. You may be able to find comparable one for about $30 less. I don't think you'll find a quality pair for much cheaper unless they are used.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I order the majority of all my "stuff" from campmor!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Nice, could always go halves, you take the right one and I'll take the left.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
limbhnger10 said:
I order the majority of all my "stuff" from campmor!
Do you know anythign about the snowshoes I have listed in that URL? Quality?

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
My buddy has the 36" shoes. He really likes them. If HE didn't like them he would say

Frames and decking/support/straps are pretty much the same.......the "pivot" seems to be the only diff between manufactures.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
If you are just starting out, check out the us army magnesium surplus shoes at sprortsmanguide. They were on sale for $39.00 and included nylon binding.

I have two pair. Had them out today and they are great. It you really get into it then, spend the money.

Also have two pair of us army 1951 vintage wood and rawhide shoes I paid $50.00 about 20 years ago. They are wall hangers now, never used. Unfortunately, the bindings were dry rotted.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
I really, really did not like the snowshoes mentioned earlier with the "sheathing" instead of "webbing". I wore the sheathing type once when I didn't bring mine and really preferred my webbing type. I found it acted like a snow shovel when stepping out of one step into the next. Some folks love em, I did not. If you ask around you ought be able to find some folks with both types and try them out before buying. Good luck, Keystonepaul

1 - 18 of 18 Posts