The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Yes, it does work. The only thing is you have to alittle more then what it calls for. about 15-20% more seed.

what kind of seeds are you seeding?? some work better then other.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I think it would be ok to do if the ground was flat. If it's slopped then a lot of the seed will wash away when the snow melts. Best to wait and frost seed next month if this stuff ever melts

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
I would be concerned about the seed rotting before it was warm enough to germinate.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
IIRC,from my horticulture classes,most frost seeding is best done with a legume type seed (clover,alfalfa,beans).
A hard frost after the seed has cracked will kill alot of grasses.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Frost seeding works for me.
I like to frost seed small foodplots or plots that are hard to get my tractor on.This should be thought of the fall before you are going to frost seed.I like to use round up in mid fall (middle of OCT. in these parts) and it is also a good time to add lime.It will take over 6 Mo. for lime to get into untilled soil.I like to frost seed in late April early May when there is little chance of snow but the ground still freezes at night.Causing the ground to heave and crack and suck the little seeds into the ground.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
frost seeding on a spring snow is a great way to be able to tell exactly where the seed has been applied. No way would I frost seed onto anything more than an inch or two of snow hoping that the snow would melt the same day I seeded.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I have a bunch of clover seed I'm hoping to overseed some hills adjacent to my house that are very sparse with grass. I'm waiting to frost seed maybe in another month.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Dobsonknob said:
Anybody know if seeding grass and wildflower seed on the snow is effective...?
We call it feeding the birds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts