The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This sure seems odd, right now the snows should be pouring into MC. Are the snows going someplace else?
It's not normal for the snows to spend nights out in the fields. But maybe the bright moon has a big affect on these birds?

02/26/2013

Considering the numbers of birds we were seeing through the day yesterday, today’s numbers seem low. All I can do is report the numbers I see in the morning of a given day. Early morning (daybreak) is usually the best time to get estimates, as any birds in the area should spend the night on the lake. However, with a bright full moon last night some birds may have stayed out overnight.

Snow geese: 25,000

Tundra swans: 2,700

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I'm not sure our migration is like the mid-west. I don't believe we have leading edge birds like they do. I saw quite a few juvies in some of the flocks around MC. I do think young birds (non-breeders) will lag behind but not all if them or to the extent you see with lessers and Ross. Just my observation

·
Registered
948 Posts
Unfortunately I also saw that they are seeing them up on the finger lakes.

·
Registered
862 Posts
There are two different juvie migrations. One consists of first year birds and the second consists of second year birds. That is why you see may a lot of grey birds with the first group of adults as they are first year birds. The late migrators, second year grey birds, do come at the end. It isn't as strong as the Midwest because we don't have as many new birds each year. Our breeding population is about 5x smaller. I have had some great hunts end of March in the Atlantic on these late migrants.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Highflyer0329 said:
Unfortunately I also saw that they are seeing them up on the finger lakes.
They've been in the Finger Lakes for 2 months, not huge flocks of migrants but birds that winter there.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Dave - I understand what you are saying but not sure I understand 2nd year grey birds. Usually by the 2nd winter the juvies are white. I call them juvies because they cant breed yet and dont have the same drive to migrate as the adults. I think "leading edge" birds are more of an issue when the hatch was a bust. It wasnt great this year but not a bust evident from the grey birds. In a year where the hatch was a bust the leading edge is very tough to hunt since there are no grey birds and its tough to tell young birds from old ones otherwise. The late migrators which are younger birds (although white on a busted hatch year) are more likely to make a mistake. Bottom line is young birds are easier to decoy no matter where they are in the migration but on a busted hatch the late migrators are your best chance. Even the previous years hatch affects the hunting because many of the grey birds stay with their parents for one migration before breaking the bond. Thats the reason the leading edge has grey birds. This is my understanding and I'm no biologist so correct me if I'm wrong.

In the mid-west the Ross geese migrate last and are even better than a juvie from my experience. I think it's much easier to see whats going on in the mid-west migration. I know they have more birds but they "fit the mold" much more than our greaters from my experience.

·
Registered
148 Posts
So whats all this mean, i can't get a handle on whats going on this year. I know alot of birds are sneaking up through allentown area as always but more than usual? I'm not sure. I've read reports in the last 3 days that N. Carolina was still holding birds, so i'm hoping MD and Del still have birds? It sure hasn't happened for us in the lanacaster area so far. I guess i just assumed it was colder than last year and stormy on the coast, I thought MC numbers would beat last year, now i am wondering.

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Not many snows in this area. Only saw a few about 2 weeks ago. Definately down from years past. Wonder what's going on? Are the numbers down or are they taking a more eastern flight back north?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
In my area, there is not much of anything around, a few more canadas that were around during the season but nothing like normal. This time of the year they are everywhere, along with a few pockets of snows here and there. I havent had a night where ive walked outside and heard birds pushing , both on the south and north migration. Its been a weird year for sure.

·
20,126 Posts
I think everyone is throwing up the red flag waaaaaaay to early this year. Also, I would MUCH rather hunt 25,000-50,000 ever fluctuating coming and going snows then 75,000 birds that just hang around. Moving birds are so much easier to decoy then ones that have been around forever. We all get caught up in 'numbers' but 25,000-50,000 is a LOT of any type of bird including snows. Get out and hunt them cause you never know when reinforcments are coming.....or when they're going to bail for another summer lol. Both will happen very very soon.

·
20,126 Posts
Kwright032 said:
In my area, there is not much of anything around, a few more canadas that were around during the season but nothing like normal. This time of the year they are everywhere, along with a few pockets of snows here and there. I havent had a night where ive walked outside and heard birds pushing , both on the south and north migration. Its been a weird year for sure.
I really dont think it's happened yet. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of birds here now were from NY and pushed south when the snows finally started to fall up north a few weeks back. If WF is anything it's unpredictable. Still tons of birds south if you believe what you read on the internet.....which I believe every ounce of!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
If its on the internet it must be true. I'm dating a french model now. Every year is different. Lots of birds have moved but it's not a textbook year - then again not too many years are. Wigeons and pintails are around now and they werent during the season. Birds are doing what they do and it doesnt always fit the mold. Happens during the season too as we all know. NOTE: MD, DE, NJ, and NC still have huntable numbers.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts