The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man,wouldn't that be just the most amazing thing to see?
I can't recall when this has happened last ? I don't like being cold nor cold feet ,but would truly enjoy it after all these years with out it !

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
How long ago do you mean? We had snow for the 1st day in 2013 and 2014 granted I think 14 it melted by the end of the day but got it back later in the week and had it for the whole 2nd week.

·
Registered
19,218 Posts
The last year we had snow here in Washington County for the opener was the first year of antler restrictions and we just had a patchy dusting. 2003 maybe?

·
Registered
408 Posts
lately, its been more first days in a light sweatshirt due to the warm weather. I miss the freezing cold, blizzard type first days of yesteryear...

·
Registered
20,138 Posts
we have to have snow, its a Pennsylvania tradition. its not rifle season or Christmas without snow.

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
The colder the better for rifle season. Snow on the ground increases visibility, and the lower temps keep people moving, which sends the deer into the escape routes I hunt.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
We had snow on the ground for the first day of rifle in 2014. Here in the Allegheny ridge of Somerset County, we can have 3 to 4 inches of snow then head 14 miles east into Bedford County and have nothing. But a 1,000 foot drop in elevation will do that.

I've been hunting since 1978, I've seen snow, rain and 60 degree sunny days on the first day. My very first deer hunt in 1978 was day of pouring rain then it changed over to a heavy wet snow in the early afternoon and saw more than 40 deer, I'll never forget that day.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
If we do not have snow I'd rather it be 45 and sunny...wouldnt have to bundle up for the cold and not have to worry about getting soaked by rain like we have recently

·
Banned
2,577 Posts
I haven't seen a good snow down my way in a coon's age.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Love having snow on the ground in any deer season. I remember 2013 rifle season in Armstrong county, we had snow the whole two weeks. Wish it was like that every year!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Snow sure would be nice, but I second the notion of "anything except thick fog"

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
In Southern Bedford County the last time on opening day a real snow was 1978. I graduated from high school that year staying at my place my grandmother was still living woke up to surprising 6" of fresh snow. We might of had little skifts but that was the last real one. The reason is I became a professional snow plower later and dreaded the thought of missing opening day due to snow.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
In 2014 we had snow for the first day in Schuylkill county.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts