The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While out hunting for sheds today I stopped and put my hand against a tree.I felt something and looked at my hand and it was almost black.Well not quite sure what was going on I brushed whatever it was off and looked at the ground and it was just peppered black with these little critters.Not just by the tree but everywhere.

I did a search on "snow fleas" and found out they are actually called Springtails and are harmless but beneficial to the environment.Interesting.

·
Super Moderator
15,031 Posts
John S said:
Wait til the snow snakes come out!
That might not be as funny a sight as you think. I had my dog out pheasant hunting just before Christmas with several inches of snow on the ground when he went on point near the edge of a small pond. As I got closer I saw he was pointing a water snake that at first I thought was dead, but when I touched it with my foot it trying to move and stuck its tongue out. I slid it into the water but I figure it was already pretty well doomed. That was the first time I have ever seen a snake out in the snow, but I now know it can happen.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
16,944 Posts
2 years ago in Flint season, I was a stander on a push. Was mid-january, and temp somewhere in the mid-30's with about 2" of snow cover. As I heard the drivers getting near, a train rumbled by about 40 yards below me. I turned to look up the hill, and slithering down the bank right at me, was about an 18" garter snake. I screamed, cried a little, and ran away like I always do. Getting my skirt caught on every briar in the woods on the way out.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I saw a giant black snake this december while I was bear hunting in Jersey. First time I've ever seen a snake in December.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
About 15 years ago, in January or February, 6" of snow and wind chill around 10, was walking the dog in the woods, seen a snake crawling in the snow. Went back to the house and got the camera for a few pics, figured nobody would believe it. A couple weeks later was in a different area and seen another one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.