The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While out hunting for sheds today I stopped and put my hand against a tree.I felt something and looked at my hand and it was almost black.Well not quite sure what was going on I brushed whatever it was off and looked at the ground and it was just peppered black with these little critters.Not just by the tree but everywhere.

I did a search on "snow fleas" and found out they are actually called Springtails and are harmless but beneficial to the environment.Interesting.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Wait til the snow snakes come out!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I pulled a tick off my pants this morning... Interesting, snow fleas.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I see them once in a while. I actually saw some while archery hunting this year. Weird how they move in herds like that. If you get close enough to them it sounds like the ground is sizzling. They creep me out.

·
Super Moderator
14,272 Posts
John S said:
Wait til the snow snakes come out!
That might not be as funny a sight as you think. I had my dog out pheasant hunting just before Christmas with several inches of snow on the ground when he went on point near the edge of a small pond. As I got closer I saw he was pointing a water snake that at first I thought was dead, but when I touched it with my foot it trying to move and stuck its tongue out. I slid it into the water but I figure it was already pretty well doomed. That was the first time I have ever seen a snake out in the snow, but I now know it can happen.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
2 years ago in Flint season, I was a stander on a push. Was mid-january, and temp somewhere in the mid-30's with about 2" of snow cover. As I heard the drivers getting near, a train rumbled by about 40 yards below me. I turned to look up the hill, and slithering down the bank right at me, was about an 18" garter snake. I screamed, cried a little, and ran away like I always do. Getting my skirt caught on every briar in the woods on the way out.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I saw a giant black snake this december while I was bear hunting in Jersey. First time I've ever seen a snake in December.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
About 15 years ago, in January or February, 6" of snow and wind chill around 10, was walking the dog in the woods, seen a snake crawling in the snow. Went back to the house and got the camera for a few pics, figured nobody would believe it. A couple weeks later was in a different area and seen another one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts