The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice on trapping these windy/snowy conditions???

I got 3 hay sets and a dirt hole out...by the time i was done they all had snow drifts over the trap...wind hitting the backing (or hay pile) caused drifting..probably over the traps....

Made 2 post sets that obviously didn't do that....

I just dont have confidence in my post sets yet....i need to gain that confidence as i know it is a valuable set for a canine trapper...especially this time of year...

Not sure what to expect in the morning....my dirt sets are in waxed dirt...just worried about the drifting snow and canine movement...might have em holed up...

Dont know how guys trap conditions like this all the time...it was brutal out there...

Any other tips and tricks for these conditions?? Might plug in a few more sets tomorrow...

Just running a few sets for a few days here at camp...

One nice thing was didnt have to worry about leaving tracks etc...was covered before i left lol...

·
Registered
999 Posts
They will move , it was -21 and windy out here last night and the coyote moved. Nothing you can due about drifting snow other then clear it of your sets when the wind stops, Sometimes I can get by with a dust brush and other times Ive had to shovel through a 6 ft drift to find them. I hate wind .

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured you battled conditions like we have now and worse on a regular basis...

I dont have any 6 foot drifts lol...but a good couple inches and looked like that was all it was going to do...they can still find the trap...

Ive never done well when we get cold spells like this but others do really well...will be interesting to see...

Hope i can pull my anchors...the ground wasnt froze yet...but i am sure it will be when i decide i am done...

Havent seen a fox at home since 2009...a few buddies were coming to camp this weekend so i figured id come and trap a few days....didnt let the weather stop me!

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Look at my post from today. It's like Antartica out there and I pinched one. Most of the coyotes my brother and I have got this year (8 between us) have come on miserable nights like last night.

Make your sets in windblown areas and use little to no backing. Other than that, keep a shovel handy...

Winter trapping in the snow is one thing. Hard work.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing today...wind is still howling and snow still coming down....

The post sets looked fine from a distance...could even see yellow snow at one...no tracks so figuring it was mine...the haysets and dirt hole are drifted bad..if the critter worked hard theyd still get caught...looks like the wind will lay down tomorrow so i will dig them out then....probably head home Sunday unless the trapping gets really good...dont really wanna be responsible for closing down the camp for the rest of the winter...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts