The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
ruttn & struttn said:
I had to use them a couple yrs ago. I was pushing snow with the front bumper of my F150. I have the V bars.
Ruttn told me this story. It's a great example of how well chains work.
I have a set of RUDS. Although I have yet to use them.
They are simple to install. There are plenty of videos on youtube you can watch in regards to chains and rud chains.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Just regular old heavy duty truck tire chains that I purchased at Sears back in 2006.
I throw them in the pick up about the 1st of October and leave them there until the 1st of May. Don't want to be caught at camp without them, will work good in mud too.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I used chains when I had a Jeep CJ. I also used them on my old s-10 pickup. They work great for getting back the SGL roads. I could drive back in with snow deep enough that the bumper was pushing snow.

I wish my SUV, I now have, had enough room between the tires & fender wells to use them. It isn't nearly as good in the snow as my other vehicles with chains.

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
I keep a set of Security Chain Company ZT729 Super Z LT (Light Truck)chains in my truck for emergency use. Over the past 4 years i only needed once but was glad to have them. They are easy to install without moving truck such when stuck in adverse conditions etc.. Plus if you have a newer SUV/truck they require minimal clearance between tire/wheel well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Funny, I was just up at our camp and didn't want to pull the plow truck out because it didnt have chains. I was looking on Auto Zones website and they seem to be able to get chains for any size and width of tire. I'm gonna pick up a set for the truck as a gift to the camp.

And yes, chains are no joke and work like a dream. I remember back during the blizzards of '93 and '95 my dad had chains on all four tires of his plow truck!

·
Registered
289 Posts
When I had my F250 I had chains with the V blocks welded on. If you chained up all four it was like a tank. Used them once in Colorado on a elk hunt. When driving in areas that the snow was beginning to melt it vibrated the truck so bad that I thought the dash was coming apart. When I bought my F350 the tire sizes was differant and they didn't fit. So instead of adding to there lenghts I purchased a new set of square links from Tirechain.com There located in Johnstown, PA. Used them in Montana this winter and they worked well.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Wish I would have had them a couple times, underestimated how bad the road was on 2 occasions and we were lucky to get off those roads unharmed, scary situations. We had them them at camp but never put them on, we won't make that mistake again.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
We actually have ones for our boots ( yak trax) also because of a couple trips where you could barely walk without slipping or falling a few years back.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Square link chains, always got them in truck for all 4. They don't plow sf roads. If u only got 2 and 4wheel drive out em on front. Retighten after a bit!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Got a set of light truck chains a few yrs back after I broke my 4wheel drive in bear season. Not sure of the type other than "light". Ended up with nasty ice/snow pack for rifle and I went more places with 2wheel drive and chains than guys with regular 4wheel drive.

Didn't use them since then until this past weekend over our New Years trip to the cabin. Had about 15" and went everywhere we wanted to no problem.

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
I need to get some for my jeep cherokee for when I am at camp.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I have a set of v bars for my bronco II. I want to get a set of regular chains for the front. Definitely saved my butt a few times.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
I have a set for all four tires on my 4x4 blazer...only needed to put chains on the front tires this past Saturday. My tire chains are always in or on the Blazer.

Also have a Ramsey 9000# winch mounted to the front for getting through the fun stuff.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
My buddy who drives a chevy silverado use to use them every year while bobcat hunting. He had one front come off and broke something on the anti skid break and the warrenty would not cover it. He don't use chains any more.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
X2 for tirechains.com here. I want to say I paid right at $100 delivered to my door for the pair that fits 275/70x17. Usually use them while at camp for FL or beaver trapping season. Occassionally in early trout stocking as well. Even if I don't use them, they are in my truck from the first day of fall turkey until trout season starts.

·
6,450 Posts
it is unreal how well chains work when I was a kid we raised beef cattle and hauled big round bales from the field my dad put chains on all 4 wheels of our f150 and there wasn't a snow that could stop us 4 foot drifts and we went right thru....im thinking about ordering a set for my truck as soon as im done typing.

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
Sharkbait said:
I used the Super Z radials from last Thrusday until yesterday while up at camp in Potter. There was 20 inches of snow on the ground. There was no getting around without them.
Loggy said:
I keep a set of Security Chain Company ZT729 Super Z LT (Light Truck)chains in my truck for emergency use. Over the past 4 years i only needed once but was glad to have them. They are easy to install without moving truck such when stuck in adverse conditions etc.. Plus if you have a newer SUV/truck they require minimal clearance between tire/wheel well.

YUP...hard to beat the Super Z Radials...they are the ticket when you need immediate/reliable traction in tuff conditions!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts