The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw three roosters hanging out beside some pine trees today. They seemed to be doing well with all the snow and ice we've been having. I did see a hen or two a few days ago in the area as well. I did not run the dogs for a while now due to the ice and now deep snow. I hope to get them out in a week or so to see if anything else is still hanging out. It has been about 6 weeks since I saw the quail that were released in October.

·
Super Moderator
24,066 Posts
Nice!!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Nice Bwire. Glad to see that they are holding on. Shame the snow has been so crusty or deep lately.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
angus said:
Nice Bwire. Glad to see that they are holding on. Shame the snow has been so crusty or deep lately.
I hear you on the snow. Yesterday my mom brought a cake over for Connor's birthday and the boys asked her to stay so I could take the dogs out. I thought I'd better take them up on the offer while I can. The walking was tough through the snow but at least it kept me warm. The dogs seemed to do better than me, though.

Early on I saw quite a few tracks coming out of a wooded section but no birds. The switchgrass sure took a hit:

The dogs found something interesting:

But no birds were found.

The food plot sure took a hit from all the snow and ice. It is still providing food for the song birds in the area but I didn't see any pheasant or quail tracks.

But at least there is some food left:

I walked through a wooded area to make my way to a draw that is closer to where I last saw the quail. It was easier walking through the woods but no signs of birds.

At least the deer seem to be in the area:

The dogs managed to find a place where a rabbit was hanging out:

I didn't find any quail but I think they may be hanging out in an area that is off of the property that I can run the dogs on.

This is the last area I saw the quail and that was 6 weeks ago.
his is the last area that I saw the quail:

Even though the dogs didn't find anything they still enjoyed running.

When we were walking back to the truck I saw some pheasant tracks coming out of the woods leading to this bit of cover:

Next time out I think I'll try to focus on the wooded areas. Sorry for all the pictures but it's mid February and there's not much going on.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm thinking about heading out sometime this week just to see what I can get. Rabbits, pheasant, squirrels. Glad to see they are still out and about. Bwire, I'm in Adams county, also. Maybe we'll run into each other.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts